Bee's Guest House

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi Bee.

I've heard that same idea! Except it was called a 'butting bar' to discourage unruly goats from butting their herdmates :lol:

Sorry to hear about the hens.. We've never been able to train any of our dogs not to; if they didn't it was because it simply wasn't in their nature. Then again I can't train anything so.. Anyway how are doing today?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im sorry Bee!! I would have probably gave the dogs away already . I get steaming when the dog barks at the ducks and chickens. He has that hunting dog bark when he barks at them. I guess he forgot my dog forgot his lesson the Barred Rock rooster taught him. I hope you have good luck fixing this problem!!

ETA: My dog lives in a kennel and the chickens run out.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great hold on those pups...I hope the little female learns her lesson.
Love the pics from the past. Your parents looked so proud and happy. That sure looked like a small cabin! How many people lived in there? I would have thought 2 would be tight.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, at any given time, there were 6-9 people living in the one room...the other was the kitchen/bath area. Sort of like homestead cabins of the past.

I really don't know how we did it, looking back. My dad built bunkbeds~full sized mattresses~out of logs and my sister, Johanna, and I shared the bottom bunk. My brother slept up top.

My parents had a bed made from logs also. There was a fold out couch but I think the stove prevented this from being unfolded. It was the only piece of real living room furniture in the place. The rest was all beds.

A barrel stove in the middle....got so hot sometimes that the sides glowed red.

Clothing hung on bars up near the ceiling/roof peak or folded neatly in cardboard boxes under the beds.

The floor of this cabin was covered in real thick cardboard the folks had scavenged somewhere.

At first the walls were chinked with clay but it dried and fell out, so we were out there stuffing insulation in the cracks in the middle of cold weather.

Not much floor space for walking around, so we were outside most of the time working or lying in our beds reading. Sort of like living life in a camping trailer, in a way.

Blackbird, I'm doing okay today....just a little sad about these pups. I really wanted to keep them and had hopes they could be trained to live here in this lifestyle I have. I'll just have to pray over them and see if God can help me on this one! :)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
You seemed a little down in some of your posts, and on BYC.. Hope things start looking up for you. :hugs

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well Im sure he can Bee!

If my grandmother did the internet. You guys would be shocked on how her and her 16 brothers and sisters made it through the depression. You talk about SS they were.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't know how some of those huge families made it back then! My dad had ten other siblings, it's amazing they all lived to adulthood, especially with all of the stories I've heard! My dad was a bad kid too, surprise surprise. Lol. His mother would have kept going but his dad died when the youngest was still a baby.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Me and my granny set back and still she tells about it. We are neighbors btw. She tells me how they would kill two hogs and salt it down for the winter. She said every year they d buy several hundred pounds of soupbeans for the winter. Plus maintained a huge garden and maintain it with no pesticides. Then all of the chickens and the milk cow. If you guys could only comprehend where they lived it would amaze you. They LIVED in the BACKWOODS. Right in panther and bobcat country. In a log cabin at the foot of a hill with woods all around.

Hey Bee, I hope you get to feeling better!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I wish my grandparents were still alive. They were missionaries in South America. I think my grandmother was the 1st white woman in some of the villages they went to. I would love to be able to talk to them, and find out how they survived in the type of setting they were in, especially w/young children. My mom was still pretty young when they left the mission field and her sister is even younger, so I don't think I'd get very far asking either of them. And, both of her brothers have already passed away.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I got to hear a lot of stories from my grandparent's time in life and they were amazing people back then...but the poverty wasn't really the worst of their lives. It was the complete disregard of women as humans...they were used, abused and given in marriage to old men when they were in their early teens.

The women were strong...they had to become so just to survive. They had to make do with nothing on which to live and they didn't have any therapists or friends to hear their woes.

We are such a pampered bunch of people, us modern women.... thank God we didn't have those kind of hardships~ but they do polish a stone until smooth and beautiful.

Latest posts