Bee's Guest House

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
but the poverty wasn't really the worst of their lives. It was the complete disregard of women as humans...they were used, abused and given in marriage to old men when they were in their early teens.

The women were strong...they had to become so just to survive. They had to make do with nothing on which to live and they didn't have any therapists or friends to hear their woes.

We are such a pampered bunch of people, us modern women.... thank God we didn't have those kind of hardships~ but they do polish a stone until smooth and beautiful.
I couldn't agree with you more! My grandpa, on my mother side told of stories just like that. His mother was a young Native American woman....caught and sold to a white man for a wife. She was about 14 at the time, I think. He was a drunk, and beat her constantly. So much, that when my grandpa was 10, he jumped on a train and headed west. He was gone for several years, and when he returned, his father was dead, his mother an alcoholic. I guess it was her only way to deal with it all. Sad.....really.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im glad all of that non sense stopped. Luckily my grandmother was neither used or abused. They homesteaded too. She sold milk and butter. They always killed a hog and beef. She canned and gardened alot. Plus she canned sasauge :drool

Which apparently was very good. I really do believe homesteading is in the genes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It didn't really stop, though...it's just more subtle now and they don't get raped or sold off to old men now in a public way. Now it's just more secret, which isn't exactly better. It is still very much going on. :(

I know a young, beautiful woman who has had several mysterious "accidents" that always results in broken bones, bruises, lumps, etc. They finally threatened to take her children if he didn't move out. They went through the motions, put on a good face, got past all the CPS evaluations and are now back together in their violent home with the children watching on. Her daughter may grow up thinking this is normal and will seek out a man like her dad to repeat this cycle. Her son may grow up to treat women like his daddy does and will find a woman like his mother to marry and repeat the cycle.

How many times do you really hear of a man being beaten, bones broken, raped? It happens, but quite rarely compared to what happens to women in this world. I guess it will always be so.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You are so right! It does still happen...its very sad. No matter the "upriseings" women will always be treated as lower class....somewhere.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
So many people think it just isn't so in our country.. They don't see it, so it can't be true.
You and I both know that far too well, though.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, the pups tortured another chicken this morning. The coop is shut down for now, as the chickens won't be out in the snow right now anyway....have 3 in. and it's falling fast.

I'm so disappointed right now. I'm going to try to find a home for the little girl pup and see how Dewley works out by himself, but if he doesn't stop injuring chickens, he will have to go too.

I am getting rid of chickens in the spring anyway but, until I can do that, I won't stand for them being tortured and injured. I've never had an injured chicken like this...I've always protected my chickens sufficiently that this never happened.

It's so strange to be with these two sweet, loving pups and know that they tag teamed my chickens and tore at their flesh. It's hard to get one's mind past that. Yes, I know it's a dog's natural prey instinct to eat a bird...I have had dogs for some time now. I've just never had one that couldn't be trained away from the natural instinct.

If I cannot find them homes, they will be eliminated via hot lead injection. I thought it would be hard to do, but after seeing my beautiful chickens mangled, it won't be a problem. :somad

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww, Bee, I am so sorry to hear that about the pups! They sure seemed like they were fast learners. Maybe once the little girl is gone, he will settle down. It could be jus tthat they are still so much puppy, and together cant resist the "play" Thats sad still. I wouldn't have a dog I cant trust arounf my farm animals....for sure.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well if it makes you feel any better, me and the dog have went round and round this morning. I had a minute and thought he probably would like to run out this morning. I turned him out at 10 and let him run while I watered and fed everyone. I was soaked and freezing because of this ice storm. I cannot get him in. So I come in the house for a while then go back out with some leftover gravy from this morning and I bait him. I let him eat the gravy then I get the leash out and he breaks out running as hard as he can. So after about 30 minutes of chasing him sister comes out and gets him right away. I was absolutely flaming!! :somad

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I simply cannot bear a dog that won't come when you call....the girl pup is like that. She barges in the door and runs through the house so you can't put her back out....this, after several corrections.

It appears she is unable to learn simple lessons. Dewley does better but still has a way to go. I like to think she is the culprit but they both were in on the baiting and snatching of this last bird.

They sure do look cute out playing in this snow. Kind of sad, really, that they didn't fit in here....I was looking forward to having them around. :(

Latest posts