Best Apple Peeler/Corer ???

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a Good Cook brand years ago, for $12.99 (still had price tag on it). :hide Guess I lucked out, because it has served me well. I usually do up 30 -40 lbs of apples per year, and it works well for me. I also like it's lock down base.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I saw the wood stand on their website. Worth the extra money?
I can't remember waht they look like, but I'll tell you, I had clamped mine to my counter top and it wore some of the finish off. I just got ne counter tops, so I am now clamping it to my cutting board. If I had to order frompampered chef again, I would consider thestand. How much is it?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly I have the stand and would not purchase it again ($18.50) I have a heavy cutting board or the edge of the counter would work as well. Mine has become quite wobbly with age.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Am I the only one out here who peels with a knife? :hide

Guess my son is right - I AM from the past. :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:

I peel with either a hand-held peeler or a knife, whatever is handy. And my peeler is a hand-me-down from my Mom, not one of those plastic things:

Mine looks a lot like this:
Potato_peeler.jpg

And when I make applesauce or dehydrate apple slices I don't peel anyway, I just wash (and core for the dehydrator) :hide

I cook my chopped apples down, then run the whole thing through my food mill for applesauce. Turns a little pink if I have red apples :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
moolie said:
Farmfresh said:

I peel with either a hand-held peeler or a knife, whatever is handy. And my peeler is a hand-me-down from my Mom, not one of those plastic things:

Mine looks a lot like this: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060516183554/uncyclopedia/images/4/44/Potato_peeler.jpg

And when I make applesauce or dehydrate apple slices I don't peel anyway, I just wash (and core for the dehydrator) :hide

I cook my chopped apples down, then run the whole thing through my food mill for applesauce. Turns a little pink if I have red apples :)
I used on of those peelers for years, but arthritis mkaes it a bit difficult. I have two fatter potato peelers now.Work well. Now, glad you brought this up. I have about 40 lbs of apples that some of them I want to dehydrate. But my question was peel or no peel. How do you use them once dehydrated? Bonus of peeling them is I can use the peels for ACV,
so why do you choose to leave the peels on?
Applesauce, I do the same thing. cook peels seeds and all then put it through my food mill to get the pulp out.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The company OXO Good Grips has won several awards from the arthritis foundation for their arthritis friendly handles. I have one of their tater peelers that looks like this:
Swivel Peeler

I also got some colored foam tubing to go over my paring knife handles and other kitchen tool that I need a better grip on. ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
...But my question was peel or no peel. How do you use them once dehydrated? Bonus of peeling them is I can use the peels for ACV,
so why do you choose to leave the peels on?
Lol, for dehydrating I leave the peels on because I'm lazy. We buy organic, and wash well, and presumably there's more nutrients in the resulting product than if I peeled. But basically it's just laziness.

Once dehydrated they are easy to store/easy to carry snacks. My kids eat a lot of fruit and variety is good throughout the winter months. Sometimes I chop dehydrated apples up and add to granola or muffins, but mostly we just eat them as-is.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How does it taste with the peels on? I am thinking it would make it tougher, not sure my kids would like it that way. I have organic apples too, so leaving the peels on is not taboo, but as for taste& texture... not sure. Maybe I'll just do a tray with the peels on and see wht they think.