Best Apple Peeler/Corer ???

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried them both ways and my kids prefer them with the skins on, I flip back the peeler for dehydrating apples so it cores and slices uniformly.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
LOL FarmFresh! I always use two knives when I work with apples . . . a chef's knife for cutting them into slices and then a paring knife to get the seed, stem, and peel off. But I tend to also be resistant to getting too many single-use tools in my kitchen.

Now, about apple peels . . . it was my understanding that you want to remove the peel because it could harbor pathogens you don't want to introduce to your canned goods. If I am wrong . . . I would much rather keep the peels on for nutritional value, as mentioned. I only use organic apples.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I leave 'em on when canning or making the sauce and off when dehydrating. To us the peels are too chewy when the apple is dried.

We like to peel and core the apples, run them across my mandolin slicer and then sprinkle them with cinnamon before dehydrating. :drool

I also always pasteurize any fruit, especially the apples, by heating them for a short time in a 200 degree oven before bagging or jarring them up for long term storage. It kills any leftover insect larva or other contaminants. The dried cinnamon apples, however, usually do not last long enough to worry about storage issues. :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just sold two apple peeler/corer/slicers in my yard sale for $3 and $5 a piece. They hadn't been used much and were handy and sharp. Don't remember the brand but they were devilishly sharp and wonderful to watch in use....loved how thin the peelings were and the spiral cuts of the apples. After growing up peeling mountains~imagine a standard pickup truck bed full~ of apples with a knife, the wonder of watching these little gadgets never failed to make me smile! :)

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Am I the only one out here who peels with a knife? :hide

Guess my son is right - I AM from the past. :lol:
Well, I guess I'm just plain lazy then, 'cause I'm tired of peeling, coring, and slicing bushels of apples (not to mention the time it takes). Do you see something wrong with investing in a tool to save labor and time? :hu

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Not at all. Granted, I tend to use a knife for an apple here and there, but when it comes to a bunch of them, I wnat my gadget. :D

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mee tooo! It has to be something I really want in order to make it into my kitchen ( I hate cluttered work space) and this one saves my fingers and wrists :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
JRmom said:
Farmfresh said:

Well, I guess I'm just plain lazy then, 'cause I'm tired of peeling, coring, and slicing bushels of apples (not to mention the time it takes). Do you see something wrong with investing in a tool to save labor and time? :hu
Certainly NOT!

Each person must invest in the tool that makes their life smooth and easy. With my padded Rada paring knife, a couple of huge stainless steel bowls and a TV with a good movie on I can personally whip through a bushel of ... most anything .. pretty easily. I get in "robo-peel" mode and don't even have to think about it anymore. :lol:

That said I will never again make a loaf of bread without my trusty bread machine! Each person has their own needs when it comes to saving labor and time. :D

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
JRmom said:
Farmfresh said:

I'm getting arthritis in my hands and while some work with them keeps them moving there are days when the thought of hand peeling bushels of anything makes me cringe.
I even use my bread maker(which by the way makes the absolute worst loaf of baked bread) to make the dough-it makes some of the best dough that I have ever made(and I have made loaves and loaves of dough by hand).. So easy for me to just load it and finish other house work and when the beeper goes off about 2 hours later, all I do is take it out and hand form, second rise and bake. It definitely helped with the bagels.. I finally got them to really taste and feel like bagels.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have arthritis in my fingers. It's funny, but peeling even a couple of pounds of potatoes or apples really bothers me, but kneading bread feels good to my hands and fingers.