Best clothing brands for used clothes

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
With clothing prices going up, more people are discovering the wonders of thrift stores and garage sales. I have been shopping them for years but I know there are families new to used clothes shopping. Even if brand names are not important to you, knowing which brands last longer and are higher quality is very helpful. Here are the ones I look for when I am getting good used clothes...

Columbia (jackets and outerwear)
South pole ( a jc penney brand. Great boys and men's clothes)
LL Bean
Eddie Bauer
Lands End (all their stuff is good, but the kids clothes are especially indestructible)
Lee jeans (I love the fit)

List your favorite brand if you have one.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm with ya on the Lee jeans - they are the most flattering jeans for my figure that I've found and comfy.

Also, I like Gap jeans. I have some that I bought over 10 years ago and they are still in good shape.

I stay away from the so-called "designer" brands that you find in places like Wal-mart, Kmart, and Kohls. Cheaply made.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I got a hold of some heavy cotton gap sweaters a few years back. They were great. I wore them out.

Faded Glory is a Walmart brand. Cheaply made and falls apart. I will see if I can find a chart showing who makes what for the other stores.

one brand you will find at Kohls that is good is Croft and Burrows. At least when it comes to their fleece Jammie pants. They are one of the few things I buy new...on sale...with a coupon :)

Here is a partial list...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Store_brand#United_States

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We like Old Navy for kids jeans because they have the adjustable elastic in the waist bands. We are fortunate to have a source of hand me downs for my son and daughter that are the same body shape...long legs/torso and slim waist. If I get things that are long enough then they are a mile too big in the waist.

I don't mind getting Faded Glory for play clothes that they are going to tear up anyway.
I also like to get the clearance t-shirts for $1 to wear in the garden/wrestling the animals.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Mossimo is a Target brand and in the mens jeans...you. can. not. kill. them! Seriously, DH goes through jeans like crazy, but those, he has yet to even tear a hole in them. I think I gave $5 for them, at a discount store, and they were new with tags...about 4 years ago. The color hasn't even faded that much. If not for a few grease stains, you'd think they were still brand new. LOVE those jeans!! Sadly, he only has 3 pair of them. I think he has gone through about 6 other pair of jeans while these are still kickin.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Joseph A tops fit me perfectly and I use them for dressier occasions.

Woolrich is nice.

Cabella's stuff is good, too.

Gap....not always good, but some older stuff is ok, although the sizes are all over the place. I have some ribbed turtlenecks that I got on clearance at least 8 years ago that need to be rotated into the barn clothes drawer, but....I found a whole bunch of the SAME ones, same colors, at Good Will this spring, barely or not worn, for $3 each! I'm all set for winter!

I can't find pants or skirts at Good Will, though, that fit me. I'm slim but curvy on the bottom and most clothing nowadays is made to accommodate a belly, even the smaller sizes, it seems. Poo. I should go "shopping" at the mall so I'll know what brands and sizes fit me, then go back and scout GW.....I haven't bought pants in years other than Gloria Vanderbilt (add that name) jeans in khaki for work at Costco because I know they fit reasonably well and are reasonably cheap.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'll second those Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. I have 2 pair of those and they are my favorite because they FIT :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Levi
The North Face
LL Bean
sometimes The Gap (depends)
Jansport (backpacks)
Hanes

Shoes:
Dansko
Gortex

for the granddaughter:
Hanna Anderson
Carter's

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Jansport (backpacks) - we've got their main store near us, so we can get great deals on discontinued colors and stuff.

Hanna Anderson - amazing stuff - if you can figure out the cm to size thing.
2nd the Land's End - even if you wreck it, which before my 8 year old, I didn't think was possible, they will replace. ok, I buy tons of their stuff directly from them on super sale.