best dehydrator

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
up until this year we've had great luck with most of our tomatoes - this year we tried a new variety and they were just like store tomatoes in that they were hard even when ripe. it was odd for us to process them and the taste wasn't as good as usual so we won't be looking for these ever again to plant. i want tomatoes to be big, soft and juicy when they're ready.
When I first tried Northern Exposure tomatoes they were similar to what you describe. I kept growing them because they were the best short season tomato I have ever found. I also kept growing them because once they were canned they were every bit as good as any other canned tomato. When I learned about azomite, it turned those tomatoes into some of the most flavorful and best textured tomatoes I have ever grown.

Unfortunately about 4 or 5 years ago Burpee's discontinued them. I am continuing to have them by cloning them at the end of the season.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I first tried Northern Exposure tomatoes they were similar to what you describe. I kept growing them because they were the best short season tomato I have ever found. I also kept growing them because once they were canned they were every bit as good as any other canned tomato. When I learned about azomite, it turned those tomatoes into some of the most flavorful and best textured tomatoes I have ever grown.

Unfortunately about 4 or 5 years ago Burpee's discontinued them. I am continuing to have them by cloning them at the end of the season.
Have you tried Betalux tomatoes? they're the earliest tomatoes I've ever grown

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

the other negative was that they were not as disease resistant as others we've grown. we had such crazy weather last year that i didn't expect them to do that great, but i was hoping they'd at least persist as long as previous other varieties, but they stopped producing several weeks sooner than they could have otherwise.

that said they did come in squarely in the middle of the range of production we're used to getting so they weren't a complete bust. just something i'll try different next season and perhaps even mention to the greenhouse guy that we'd like some other variety instead. he's always been really good to us (and vice versa) so it's an easy conversation to have (i got him going on worm keeping too :) ).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

Screenshot_20211028-065731.jpg

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you tried Betalux tomatoes? they're the earliest tomatoes I've ever grown
The description I found is that it produces a 2 to 4 oz. fruit. I have no interest in a small tomato. The Northern Exposure produces up to 5" diameter tomatoes that can weigh more than 1 lb. They are the hardiest tomato that I have grown.

Latest posts