Best Sourdough Recipes?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Now that I have a sourdough starter going, I am looking for ways to use it once a week, while I'm in the process of feeding it for the week. After trying several sourdough bread recipes, I finally found one that blew me away. :D I thought I would share it with everyone, in case anyone else is looking for a fabulous sourdough bread recipe.

If you have a winner sourdough bread or sourdough pancake recipe, I'd love to hear about it! :)

Greek Olive Loaf

Adapted from Macrina Bakery & Caf Cookbook
Makes 2 small loaves

1 cup sourdough starter, at room temperature
1 cups water, at room temperature
1 cup coarse rye flour
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced in half
spray bottle of water

Note: Start this recipe early in the morning if you hope to serve the bread for dinner. It takes roughly 15 hours before the bread is finished baking.

In medium bowl, mix together starter and water, until well combined. Add flour through rosemary, stirring with a wooden spoon. Knead for 10 to 15 minutes. Let dough rest 5 minutes.

Place dough on a floured surface. Form into a rectangle, about inch thick. Evenly spread olives over the dough. Starting from one of the short sides of the rectangle, roll dough into a log. Let it rest for 1 to 2 minutes. Fold the ends in to the center, and loosely form a ball. Coat the dough in oil in a large bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise for about 4 hours. Dough should nearly double in size.

Punch the dough down. Divide into two equal pieces. On a floured surface, flatten one piece of dough into a rectangle. Again, starting from one of the short sides of the rectangle, roll dough into a log. Taper the ends of the loaf and form a football shape. Flour a cloth and wrap the loaf in it, seam side up. Repeat for the second piece of dough. Let rise for 1 hour. Loaves should rise slightly. Place loaves in the refrigerator for 6 to 10 hours.

Take loaves out of the refrigerator and place in a warm spot for 1 hour.

Unwrap loaves from towels and set them seam side down on an oiled baking sheet or, if using a baking stone, on a bakers peel. With a sharp knife, shallowly score a line across the top of each loaf along the length of the loaf. Place in a pre-heated 400 F oven. Mist the oven with water, with a spray bottle before closing the oven. Then after 7 minutes, mist again. In another 7 minutes, mist one last time. Bake for a total of 50 minutes. Loaves will brown. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That seems like a lot of work, but it sounds really delicious. SO might even like it :lol: He's a wonderbread (white only) :sick man

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It is amazing . . . as long as you like olives. I couldn't believe that I baked an artisinal quality loaf of bread in my own oven!!!! Worth every minute of work. ;)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
OK, so my husband is a very bad influence. This morning he bought himself a cinnamon roll and had me :drool and wanting to bake cinnamon rolls, as they are one of those treats that I just can't get enough of. That reminded me that I wanted to find a sourdough cinnamon roll recipe. And that got me dreaming of cream cheese icing on top. :drool So I did a quick search this morning for sourdough cinnamon roll recipes and guess what I found ? Or maybe it found me. ;)

Disclaimer: Your clicking on my link does not make me responsible for inducing any cravings or causing any irrational behavior on your part. ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Billowy Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls

"Billowy"? Did they have to use that adjective??? :drool OMG, Pavlov's Dog here and thoes are my bell!! :drool

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey now! I did not use that word, it was in the recipe. :lol: I'm sitting here :drool with you. :lol:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I just noticed the recipe description says:

Beware of these rolls: Due to the potato and buttermilk in the dough, these are by far the richest, most moist, tender, and flavorful cinnamon rolls we've ever had, the dough itself is fragrant with vanilla and butter . . .
:gig

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:yuckyuck :lol:

How's about I invite you over when I make them? ;)