Best Sourdough Recipes?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
From the same book:
Savory Rosemary-Garlic Sourdough Potato Panckes

2-3 potatoes or sweet potatoes (enough for 2 cups)
1 cup sourdough starter
2 cups luke warm water
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1cup rye flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 TBSP rosemary, crushed
1 egg
2 TBSP veg oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
5 TBSP or more minced garlic

1. Parboil the potatoes in water for about 15 minutes, cool and then grate
2. In a large jar or bowl, mix the active bubbly sourdough starter with the luke warm water, the grated potaotes, flours and rosemary. Stir well, cover, and leave to ferment at least 8-12 hours. (Be sure to replenish your sourdough starter.)
3. When you are ready to make pancakes, add a beaten egg, oil and salt to the bubbly sourdough mixture.
4. Heat skillet and brush with oil. Using a measuring cup, pour the batter into small 3-inch pancakes. Sprinkle with some minced garlic on each pancake. When many bubbles have formed, flip and cook the other side. (Med. brown)
5. Serve the pancakes as they are cooked or place in a warm oven until they are all cooked.
6. Serve with yogurt, kefir or sour cream.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:gig Did the sourdough bug bite ya?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You know how it is when you finally get the sourdough to finally do what you want! I am ready for new things and pancakes sound easier!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I agree . . . they are one of the best ways to use up the starter you are supposed to throw out.

I've been making bread, because I'm trying to not buy bread right now. It is working really well now that I have to use the starter each week. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I agree . . . they are one of the best ways to use up the starter you are supposed to throw out.

I've been making bread, because I'm trying to not buy bread right now. It is working really well now that I have to use the starter each week. :)
Thanks, that is a fantastic idea!!! I was wondering if I was going to have enough starter to make what I want to make during the week.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, Dragonlaurel, the olive loaf is definitely worth an attempt. I had instructions for mixing it with a mixer (I think it said to mix it for 15 min or so?) . . . maybe you could use the breadmaker for mixing/kneading and then do the rest by hand? Is that what you were thinking?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It is Tuesday again, my sourdough bread making day!

Today's recipe is a simple whole wheat sourdough:

2 cups sponge (proofed starter)
3 cups unbleached whole wheat flour
2 TBS olive oil or softened butter (optional)
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt

To the sponge add the sugar, salt and oil. Mix well, then knead in the flour a 1/2 cup at a time. Knead in enough flour to make a good, flexible bread dough. You can do this with an electric mixer, a bread machine on "dough cycle" or a food processor. You can also do it on the counter (like me) or in a big bowl by hand.

Let the dough rise in a warm place, in a bowl covered loosley with a towel until it is doubled in bulk. When a finger poked into the top of the dough creates a pit that doesn't heal (spring back), you've got a risen dough.

Punch the dough down and knead it a little more. Make a loaf and place it on a baking sheet (slightly greased or sprinkled with cornmeal). Slit the top and cover the loaf with a towel and place in a warm place to rise again until doubled in bulk.

Turn the oven to 350 and bake the bread for 30-35 minutes. DO NOT PREHEAT the oven.

If you double the recipe for two big 2 lb loaves, the total price tag will be less than a dollar!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Let me know what you think of your new recipe.

I tried your recipe from last week. You are right . . . it was really tasty.

My loaves did not turn out very well. I think because when I was growing my sourdough starter before baking with it, my husband turned the oven on (where I had my starter growing) and I did not know until it got rather hot. I checked it's temp . . . it was over 100 F . . . so I fed it immediately (which not only cooled it down, but also gave it extra food). It seemed ok after that, but I had a real hard time getting my sourdough bread to rise much. I ran out of time to let the loaves rise . . . soooooo . . . :gig we had "hot brick bread" which is the "new depression delicacy," in case you didn't know. :lol: I told my husband that because I had used 4 cups of the best flour that we were going to eat it no matter what. Turns out it was really yummy and it did get a little bit of oven rise. But I only had 2 loaves, not 4 or 5. :(

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I've had hot brick bread before and it was tasty! :gig At least you were able to save your starter. Good tips by the way on how to save it.

That is what happened to my first batch of sourdough starter, I had it in the oven to keep warm and the oven was turned on...mine got ruined.

Freemotion told me about this new invention called "sticky notes" :p and reminded me that I need to "mark" the oven when it is in use. I've been doing it ever since, thanks freemotion! :)

Sadly it is I who puts the starter in the oven to stay warm and the one who stupidly preheats the oven for something else! :rolleyes:

Since it is chilly in the house I am letting my dough rise in the oven by turning it on for just 1 minute then turning it off for the next 20-30. I tried it in the microwave with a pyrex measuring cup filled with boiling water to warm it, but it didn't feel warm enough. :/ So far I am seeing a rise in the dough!!! WOOT!