Best Sourdough Recipes?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You are only using flour salt and water? Will you please post your recipe? I would love to have a recipe without sugar!

Did you post it and I didn't see it?

(This recipe was very easy for me and I'm not a baker.)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I don't have the recipe handy. But the other thing is that I don't like the recipe because it calls for a lot of handling of the dough and by the time it is ready to be baked, it doesn't seem to want to rise anymore. So, I'm not satisfied with the recipe I have. It tastes good, but performs poorly towards the end. I was going to try to experiment with it and see if I limit the kneading, etc. if it will work out better.

I wouldn't worry about the sugar . . . the sourdough bugs eat that right up and actually I have read that white sourdough is a lot healthier for you than regular white bread and even whole wheat bread! It gives you less of a blood sugar spike, etc. I saved the link to the study, if you want me to post it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I don't have the recipe handy. But the other thing is that I don't like the recipe because it calls for a lot of handling of the dough and by the time it is ready to be baked, it doesn't seem to want to rise anymore. So, I'm not satisfied with the recipe I have. It tastes good, but performs poorly towards the end. I was going to try to experiment with it and see if I limit the kneading, etc. if it will work out better.

I wouldn't worry about the sugar . . . the sourdough bugs eat that right up and actually I have read that white sourdough is a lot healthier for you than regular white bread and even whole wheat bread! It gives you less of a blood sugar spike, etc. I saved the link to the study, if you want me to post it.
That is what I've heard too. Post it for everyone to read!

I have a Sourdough Bread made with ground spelt, kamut or hard winter wheat too here in my Nourishing Traditions cookbook.

They say that spelt gives the most satisfactory loaf, not too heavy.

It calls for:
2 quarts sourdough starter
13 cups of freshly ground spelt, kamut or hard winter wheat
2 1/2 TBS course sea salt
about 1 1/2 cups cold filtered water

Starter should be at room temp and have gone through the bubbling, frothy stage.

Place starter, salt and 1 cup of water in a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until the salt crystals have dissolved. Slowly mix in the flour. Towards the end you will find it easier to mix with your hands. You may add the other 1/2 cup of water if the dough becomes too thick. It should be rather soft and easy to work. Knead by pulling and folding over, right in the bowl for 10 or 15 minutes; or knead in batches in your food processor.

Without pressing down the dough, cut or shape loaves into desired shapes or place into 3 large well buttered loaf pans or 5-6 smaller loaf pans. Cut a few slits in the top of the dough, cover and let rise from 4-12 hours, depending on the temp. Bake at 350 for about an hour. Allow to cool before slicing.

Bread will keep for up to a week without refrigeration!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Have you tried the Nourishing Traditions recipe yet?

Here is the information on the study about sourdough bread and how it affects your blood sugar.

(exerpt)
And while sourdough came out on top, the whole wheat varieties used in the study came out on bottom - even below white bread.

The whole wheat breads caused blood sugar levels to spike, and these high levels lasted well after lunch.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
No, not yet. Just put it out there for someone who is ready to grind their own spelt...I'm not quite there yet. :D

Thanks for the information!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'd try it with regular flour and see if I liked it . . . but that's just me.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Alaskan Frontier Sourdough Hotcakes recipe from Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz

1 cup bubbly sourdough
2 cups luke warm water
2 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour and or white flour
2 TBS sugar (or other sweetener)
1 egg
2 TBS veg. oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

1. In a bowl, mix the sourdough starter, luke warm water, flour and sugar. Stir until smooth. Cover and leave to ferment in a warm spot, 8-12 hours. (Don't forget to replenish your starter.)
2. When you are ready to make pancakes, beat the egg and add it to the batter along with the oil and salt. Stir until the texture is smooth and even.
3. Mix the baking soda with 1 TBS of warm water and fold it gently into the sourdough mixture.
4. Heat a cast-iron pan or other griddle and brush with oil.
5. Ladle the batter into pancakes of whatever size you like. When many bubbles have formed on the surface, flip and cook the other side. Cook well, to a med brown.
6. Serve the pancakes as they are cooked or place in a warm oven until they are all cooked. Serve with yogurt and maple syrup!

This seems very easy to me, and I am going to attept to make these this weekend!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Let me know how they come out! :)