Bimpnottin's Journal - OFG: Bacon scarf

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday, got stuff done, but sure doesn't look like it in the house.

Did some dishes. Woohoo.

Then, was getting ready to start laundry, until my Dad called to figure out how to fix a problem on his camera. Seriously, like I know? But, I knew what he wanted and he didn't like the answer when the internet search I did said send in to be repaired. Luckily, he was doing a chattel appraisal that was only about 25 miles away from me, so packed up the kids and my camera and headed out to help Grandpa. I do farm audits with my Dad, but had never helped him with a chattel appraisal, so that was kind of fun. I got to be his photographer and the girls got to play with someone else's kitty. This farmer was quite interesting. He moved from England and actually had brought over a bunch of his equipment with him. Dad had never seen some of the equipment, so he and Mom really had to look to find values on the equipment. I get to download the pictures for Dad today, because he was going to do it, but when I asked him if he really wanted the 100+ pictures of our weekend with Great Grandma on his computer, he decided I could have 20 pictures of farm equipment instead. :lol:

Did manage to get the grass cut, except one small part that I forgot. Oh well. Then, I watched my nephew yesterday. We call my 2yo and my 2yo nephew the twins from different parents, because they are going to take over the world with their plotting. We spent the afternoon outside, which was beautiful, until I came back in the house and realized what a disaster zone the house was. ugh. :barnie oh well, it's summer. outside time is more important.

Today, my lovely SIL is coming over to watch the kids, so no babysitting fee, while I go do a farm audit and hopefully catch another guy home to do his. Have to go to Target and get the kid's glasses fixed because they broke yesterday. That will be at least a week of whining from her, which I totally get because I got glasses at her age, and to go from seeing to not seeing, really sucks. Tomorrow, big appt and trying to get a little one scheduled with it.

I'm hoping the strawberry patch near us has some berries, this wet weather is horrible for them. I really want to make some strawberry rhubarb jam.

There, enough to my really boring life.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Okay, I'm officially jealous. :lol: cinnamon apple rings, brandied apple slices, dried apples, :drool I love dried apples and apple rings and they are both hard to find here. Brandied apples sounds wonderful.
How do you make them?

Could I borrow that neighbor for a little bit? There's plenty of weeds to pull over here.

You might try that plum once it's really ripe. The grocery store ones are pretty terrible sometimes. Tree ripened fruit is a world apart. If you still don't like them- sell the fruit when it starts really producing. Money is nice.
I've got to find the Farm Journal cookbook that has the recipes for the cinnamon rings and the brandied apples and I will be happy to post the recipes for you.

Even if I don't like plums, my husband and kids do, but it's also the fact that it was SUPPOSED to be a cherry tree like I asked for and not something else. Ergh. :he I really don't like stone fruits, unless they are canned, pickled, something besides fresh.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'm not a plum fan either, and I would be royally peeved if it was supposed to be a cherry tree :p

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Thank you! They sound yummy. :)
Did they just forget what kind of tree you wanted or was it ordered and mixed up? People say cherries don't grow well here but I still want to try. They are so good.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Thank you! They sound yummy. :)
Did they just forget what kind of tree you wanted or was it ordered and mixed up? People say cherries don't grow well here but I still want to try. They are so good.
Recipes are posted in the recipe section.

My husband "couldn't" find a cherry tree, so he wanted a plum tree and got it.

I did manage to get 9 pints of strawberry rhubarb jam done last night. I don't understand how I can double a recipe that makes 6 half pint jars, expecting to get 6 pint jars, and I got 9. Oh well.

Jeepers. Trying to get stuff done around here today and I've got the major clumsies. Today, started a frozen turkey brining so we can smoke it Monday. Yummy! :drool Then, I was trying to make strawberry lemonade and I dropped the bowl on the floor with the lemonade concentrate and the mushed up berries. Dog enjoyed that. Floor is probably still sticky. I'll have to check it again later. Then, went to get the berries out to make another batch of jam, and almost dropped the big bowl of berries. Dropped a brand new box of ziploc bags right into the strawberry lemonade mix, so they are all over the kitchen drying off. After I dropped the sugar, I decided that I had to get out of the kitchen before I killed myself. So, the berries for the new batch of jam are mushed and in the big kettle. They can just sit there for awhile.

Waiting for my husband to get home with the dried cranberries for another recipe. It sounds good, but I've never tried it before. It's a rhubarb berry salsa. Calls for rhubarb, cut up strawberries, dried cranberries, cider vinegar and some other stuff. I'm game to try it.

I've got to dig something out for supper. The way my day has been going, the freezer door will probably fall on my head, I'll fall in the freezer, and my husband will find a Mom popsicle later tonight. I might wait until my SIL gets here to drop off my nephew before I brave the deep freeze. :plbb

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Hope the clumsies are gone quick, and with no injuries. :fl
Thank you! I'll be copying those recipes real quick. Yummy stuff :D

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey Bimpnottin . . did ya fall in the freezer ;) I hate being clumsy, DH says I'm the only person he knows who can hurt themselves sitting on the couch :lol:

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey baby! look! you're famous!!!

http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2011/07/make-cake.html

keep on posting those recipes!!!
:)
You make me blush! :hugs

I'm glad you like it. :ep

I warned you that it was totally addictive while being totally easy to make. :celebrate

Seriously our favorite and the easiest cake ever. Frosting does make the cake but you don't HAVE to have the frosting.

Oh, and thanks for adding the grease the pan instructions. It's one of those assumed instructions. Kind of like the baking instructions when my Mom sent me this recipe. I had to call her and ask her how hot to make the oven and how long to bake it. Her answer was, "cook everything at 350 unless I tell you otherwise and cook it until it's done." You know it's a family thing with instructions like that.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TTs Chicks said:
Hey Bimpnottin . . did ya fall in the freezer ;) I hate being clumsy, DH says I'm the only person he knows who can hurt themselves sitting on the couch :lol:
Told you I was waiting for my SIL to show up so she could rescue me. At least she would have been able to hold the door open, because that little thing sure weren't pulling my big butt out! :ya

I can hurt myself in my chair, usually involving my sewing needles or sitting on my foot too long! :idunno