Bimpnottin's Journal - OFG: Bacon scarf

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
JRmom said:
Pheasant = YUMMY! :drool Is there such thing as a shotgun silencer? :D
Only if there is such a thing as an 8 year old silencer! :lol: :plbb But seriously, hubby wasn't a sniper but won military marksman awards and the dumb thing was only 10 feet away from the deck. We could throw the shotgun at it and probably have hit it, and he wouldn't have had a problem with the .22 and a head shot.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats on the craft fair! I have one on Saturday - it, too, is supposed to rain a little. I sure hope it doesn't down pour.

I spent quite a while wrapping soaps and will continue tonight and tomorrow....I sure understand how much work goes into crafting!

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Congrats on the craft fair! I have one on Saturday - it, too, is supposed to rain a little. I sure hope it doesn't down pour.

I spent quite a while wrapping soaps and will continue tonight and tomorrow....I sure understand how much work goes into crafting!
Good luck on your fair! :thumbsup

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rain, rain, go away!

We've had 5 inches in the last 5 days. Forget about the yard being squishy, I've got lakes! We have a depression in the backyard that is roughly 25 x 15 x 1 deep (never been able to figure out what used to be there) and that sucker is overflowing. :barnie Last year, during the spring, Lake Sumner formed in the backyard and we had the neighbors over for dinner and drinks (just maybe a few too many drinks :p ) and we made sure that they made it home and there wasn't a news story about local woman drowning in backyard puddle :D)

Good thing I asked my hubby if he had heard the sump pump kick in last night. When he went downstairs, it was over his ankles. Something had fallen onto the pump, so it couldn't kick in. He was up until 1:30 this morning getting the basement emptied of water and having to relight the pilot on the hot water heater. (Here's a bit of honesty :rolleyes: I only asked him about the sump pump after the water in the shower wouldn't get hot, so he would go check both out, because I REALLY hate our basement! :ep )

It's really good that he got that taken care of because we're leaving today for a weekend with hubby's family - ugh.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I feel for you. A few years ago we helped a neighbor who ended up with a foot of water in their basement. The pump they got wouldn't work, can't remember now, maybe something with the hose size? Anyway, it was an all day thing...mostly her and I bailing and the guys trying to figure out why the rented pump didn't work. :/ funny how that goes....

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Glad you got that taken care of. Nothing like a basement full of water to cause problems.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah,

Spent the weekend away from home with my husband's family for a wedding - Worst. Family. Trip. Ever (except for about a bazillion pictures of the kids with great grandma) - however, that will have to come another time, if I feel like getting mad and reliving the weekend from HE!!. :th

Came home, and the sump pumps had kept working all weekend and no water in the basement! :clap

However, great neighbor that watched the dog (love her, neighbor and the mental dog) cut her grass and started to cut mine!!!! :woot Then, she ran out of gas :hit So, tomorrow, because now that my yard looks like crap, because it's half cut, I have to try and get it done - which could be interesting since I've got my 4 and 2 year olds in the morning, add my 2yo nephew at noon, and then add my 8 yo and the neighbor's 7yo when they get off the bus from summer school. Hmmm, might have to try and get it done after the big girls get off the bus, so they can watch The Littles. It's either that, or my Littles will get banished to the top of the playset until I finish around their play yard.

In other news, looked at all the fruit trees and here's the report:

Peach tree has 2 peaches!!!!! and I thought it was really dead!!!!!!!!!
No cherries.
No pears - can't get the dang trees on the same years for flowering... :rant
One plum, nothing - other plum 1 fruit, first time ever. (However, since the plum tree was supposed to be a cherry tree for Mother's Day a few years ago and I hate plums, I refuse to give the singular icky fruit any exclamation points...)
Apple trees - all 4 are LOADED!!!!! As in, going to have to take fruit off the branches and prop up the limbs LOADED!!!!! Wolf Rivers are already getting big, Prairie Spy look nice, Harrelson's are really looking good, and what ever that apple tree is that has been here and big since we moved in - great pie apples, are LOADED!!!!!! :woot :celebrate I'm going to hate it this fall, but I can't wait to stock up on applesauce, apple pie filling, mincemeats, chutneys, cinnamon apple rings, brandied apple slices, dried apples, apple leather, etc....

Oh, as a side note, our strawberries are really doing nicely. Went to look at them today after we got home. Honestly, sat there for a few minutes admiring them and trying to figure out what was different with them. Maybe the fact that I could SEE the strawberries should have been my first clue! :smack I told above-mentioned awesome neighbor to come and pick while we were gone. She did, and also weeded them! So, instead of having to find the strawberries every time, she weeded them for me, and you can always find them. Now MIGHT be a good time to mention that I hate weeding. Actually, in the interest of full disclosure - I hate gardening. I've told my husband that if he grows it, I will take care of it in the kitchen. Give me animals any day! I cannot figure out how people think gardening is relaxing. Anything that causes me to cuss (and not always under my breath) the entire time I'm out there, is not relaxing.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Okay, I'm officially jealous. :lol: cinnamon apple rings, brandied apple slices, dried apples, :drool I love dried apples and apple rings and they are both hard to find here. Brandied apples sounds wonderful.
How do you make them?

Could I borrow that neighbor for a little bit? There's plenty of weeds to pull over here.

You might try that plum once it's really ripe. The grocery store ones are pretty terrible sometimes. Tree ripened fruit is a world apart. If you still don't like them- sell the fruit when it starts really producing. Money is nice.