Birth control in a EOTWAWKI situation?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Well, so long as there is a Catholic Church functioning in your vacinity, all you have to do is set up an appointment with a Natural Family Planning instructor.....most of them are nurses and she/he can instruct you on how to naturally prevent pregnancies. It works pretty good, when you don't take unnecessary chances on potentially fertile days. So if TSHTF, just hope and pray that the RCC is still in existance and functioning in your areas.
Isn't that just the regular Rhythm Method? BTW- good ol RCC is part of my SHTF scenario, and NOT the good guy- more like the role it played during the Dark Ages. I have no doubt it will still be in existence and functioning, unfortunately.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well its not the rhythm, its called Billings. As to the Dark Ages, I can say a lot, but thats because of my college history classes giving credit to monks for saving literacy, among other things and my professor was a Methodist. Don't believe everything you read cuz for everything bad you read about the Church, there are that much or more with an explanation as to why.
I didn't mention the RCC to get insulted. And if I choose to defend my religion, it won't be on this forum, it will be privately. But, in truth, the RCC doesn't care what your religion is.....they will still teach you NFP, feed the hungry, educate your children, care for your illnesses and many other services.
I've been part of this forum for a couple of years now and this is the first time I believe someone has ever attacked any religion.....at least in my viewing.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Natural Family Planning is definitely NOT the same as the Rhythm Method. The Rhythm Method relies on the average number of days in your cycle, and what day it is today. Natural Family Planning relies on the signs your body gives when it is about to ovulate and when it is finished ovulating. NFP has a *much* higher success rate at preventing pregnancy than RM ever had.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Well its not the rhythm, its called Billings. As to the Dark Ages, I can say a lot, but thats because of my college history classes giving credit to monks for saving literacy, among other things and my professor was a Methodist. Don't believe everything you read cuz for everything bad you read about the Church, there are that much or more with an explanation as to why.
I didn't mention the RCC to get insulted. And if I choose to defend my religion, it won't be on this forum, it will be privately. But, in truth, the RCC doesn't care what your religion is.....they will still teach you NFP, feed the hungry, educate your children, care for your illnesses and many other services.
I've been part of this forum for a couple of years now and this is the first time I believe someone has ever attacked any religion.....at least in my viewing.
I did not intend to be insulting :)

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DianeS said:
Natural Family Planning is definitely NOT the same as the Rhythm Method. The Rhythm Method relies on the average number of days in your cycle, and what day it is today. Natural Family Planning relies on the signs your body gives when it is about to ovulate and when it is finished ovulating. NFP has a *much* higher success rate at preventing pregnancy than RM ever had.
That is good to know, I thought they were the same thing- I googled the NFP, that sounds like a MUCH smarter way to prevent pregnancy than just going off of average dates! I'll be printing out the info, sounds like a pretty good way to prevent pregnancy.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lamb skin condoms are still available they about as effective as most condoms. still made the same way as back in Cassanova's day.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yup, you still can get lamb skin. Don't think I really want to go there either.
I did some research recently, and found out that Queen Anne's Lace can be used as birth control, but I can't find any more information than that. Anybody know anything about this???? I'd LOVE to know more. Short of having the equipment removed, I would rather not stay on BCP's forever either. I don't really like that idea, and I don't think its all that healthy either...
NFP sounds good, too, but I haven't done the research yet on that either. There is also the stuff that involves the basal temperature, but the equipment costs a lot the last time I checked.
I'd love to know more about this!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I thought Queen Anne's Lace was poisonous? It'd definately be birth control if it kills ya :lol: JK... :hide

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tubal ligation was my choice 25 years ago and I didn't have to worry about it any more. Truth be told if TSHTF then I would not want to bring another baby into that mess. Good news is I'm too old for that anyhow but my daughters would be affected. IUD's were a choice my sisters and I used, 2 out of 3 of us got pregnant with them. My sister had hers removed and the pregnancy was fine. Mine couldn't be removed and the pregnancy was fine. They were copper 7's for all of us and they had no hormones. We were told that they were only effective for about 3 years and from experience that's the truth.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've touched up on herbal contraceptions in my studies, but would have to do the research again because seeings as I have no need for it, I tossed it right out of my mind. Really NFP is the way to go. Just learn your body.......it doesn't ovulate 24/7. Its the healthiest method in existance. It can be used to both reproduce and to space the children. I don't really mind getting pregnant, but DH talks like he doesn't want another and I haven't caught a baby in almost 6 years. Also, between baby #2 and #3, there is a 6 year gap and that didn't happen by accident. I don't use withdrawal, thermometers, expensive equipment or monitor a period, exactly. You don't even need a normal period to use the Billings method of NFP. Rhythym is a form of NFP, but its not dependable. It would work in the perfect world where a woman can guarantee a perfect 30 day cycle, with no interruptions, due to life's shocks, nervousness, illnesses or flukes, but seeings as most of our bodies can freak out, due to stress and such, its nice to have another method, which is just as natural. Billings can be used, even if you don't have a period at all, such as in lactating. Anyone ever told you, you couldn't get pregnant if you were nursing a baby? Well, guess again.......I did it. All I knew was rhythym at the time, but with Billings, I can just monitor my bodies sign's of fertility. It does mean exercising some self-control though.