Black Garlic

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Almost complete yesterday took the garlic out of rice cooker after 9 days on warm. I had the rice cooker in my detached garage during fermentation, the garlic smell gets very very very strong. For maximum flavor I've read to air dry for another 7 days ( my next step ) . When complete you can store them in mason jars for 6 mths in fridge. I've read that black garlic is a great anti oxidant. Black Garlic has a smokey molasses kind of taste.
IMG_0564.jpg Clean Cured Garlic
IMG_0565.jpg Rice cooker
IMG_0581.jpg Black Garlic ready to air dry

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That looks and sounds very interesting. How would you use it though? Add it to meals as you would normal garlic?

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That looks and sounds very interesting. How would you use it though? Add it to meals as you would normal garlic?
Sumi my DW loves it in salads it has a sweet taste it doesn't taste like traditional garlic at all.
There are many recipes on line here is just a sample http://blackgarlic.com/category/category/recipes.
The thing that intrigues me about black garlic is the health benefits. Ive read that helps fight cancer to regulate blood sugar and thinning hair to ED :idunno now im not sure all that's true however it does have twice the antioxidants of white garlic and more allicin.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where did you get it? Is it black when growing?

Actually have never heard of it. :)

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Where did you get it? Is it black when growing?

Actually have never heard of it. :)
Mini you ferment regular garlic . Ive been growing more garlic each year this year i harvested 500-600 heads and im planning on planting 1000 for next year. So ive been making garlic powder , tried scape powder this year and this is the second year making black garlic.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i harvested 500-600 heads and im planning on planting 1000 for next year. So ive been making garlic powder , tried scape powder this year and this is the second year making black garlic.
You might be my new hero!! I can't get garlic to grow for me...

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You might be my new hero!! I can't get garlic to grow for me...
Awe shucks stop it FEM your inflating my ego IDK i purchased two varieties of garlic at a local produce auction 4 or 5 years ago and used them as seed garlic. Every year I sort out the largest 20% of each variety to use as next years seed and plant them in late Oct. In the spring time I feed them blood meal every two weeks until the scapes start growing and then stop feeding. Garlic likes nitrogen. Before I plant the garlic I prepare the bed with dried leaves and a couple inches of compost.

Latest posts