Black Garlic

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I dunno, lol. Actually, back when I wrote that was about 18 months ago. I had planted it in the spring which turned to summer pretty quickly and my guess was that it just couldn't take the heat? It grew pretty well fall of that year and I've got some going now that looks great. I also changed locations and am growing it in raised beds now instead of the clay soil. Maybe several of the changes helped out. Fingers crossed for a good upcoming harvest!

i keep forgetting where people are. you are far enough south that certain kinds of garlic may not do well, but there are some others that may still do ok. :)

up here full sun may be enough to kill off some down there with full sun.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Almost complete yesterday took the garlic out of rice cooker after 9 days on warm. I had the rice cooker in my detached garage during fermentation, the garlic smell gets very very very strong. For maximum flavor I've read to air dry for another 7 days ( my next step ) . When complete you can store them in mason jars for 6 mths in fridge. I've read that black garlic is a great anti oxidant. Black Garlic has a smokey molasses kind of taste.
View attachment 8126 Clean Cured Garlic
View attachment 8127 Rice cooker
View attachment 8128 Black Garlic ready to air dry
Made another batch, I really love it with tomatoes and onions as a side dish for meat, beef, fish, or chicken. :drool :drool :drool

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That looks and sounds very interesting. How would you use it though? Add it to meals as you would normal garlic?
I'm using it just a clove of normal garlic. But is more flavorful, and they say its a lot healthier.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Almost complete yesterday took the garlic out of rice cooker after 9 days on warm. I had the rice cooker in my detached garage during fermentation, the garlic smell gets very very very strong. For maximum flavor I've read to air dry for another 7 days ( my next step ) . When complete you can store them in mason jars for 6 mths in fridge. I've read that black garlic is a great anti oxidant. Black Garlic has a smokey molasses kind of taste.
I've already taken advantage of this and thank you very much. anyone here knows how to make a mean pickled onion? anyone here has a much better recipe?

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ive learned to do this since you posted this out. and I reaped all the benefits of this black garlic. I hope we can do this using a different veggie.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I added black garlic to chili oil. and added it as a side dish on most of my dishes. especially with fish.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have small local garlic here in the Philippines, I guess I can do the same for this one as well. We will see I guess.