Blossom & Flower, a sporatic goat journal _ I think Billy has CL

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I love Blossom falling asleep with her head in the hay- like a kid falling asleep in the high chair.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Ok, so I was going to post about getting Billy boy and remembered I had started a thread about the girls a long time ago.

I forgot about those cute pictures I had of them in the house with diapers on :lol:

So the girls are about 9 months now and I figured I had better get them bred. I had been doing my research and watching CL for adds as well as checking local bulletin boards. Finally just before New Years eve, I found a listing that I liked.
So we went on a little trip on Monday to pick up little Billy boy. He is in the next county and is about 7 or 8 months old. His daddy is full boer, his dam a boer cross. He is a short legged feller.
We brought him home in the back of my car in a borrowed dog pen.

Things did not go as well as I had hoped. Billy was feeling sad. He missed his herd. Blossom was a bully and did not let him get near the food. I set up several feeding stations, so he could get to some. He got to the point where he would eat out of my hand. And I even got to pet him. At this point I discovered nits on him. Now I am researching a natural inexpensive way to deal with those :rolleyes:

Yesterday I felt so bad for little Billy, that I decided to tie Blossom up, so he could eat in peace. Blossom didn't mind, coz she had a feeder in front of her face. Flower and Billy followed me to another feeder. Then Flower started running after Billy. But Billy returned the favor and they started butting each other and chasing each other. Next thing I know he is starting to mount her. From the side :lol:

I had thought Flower might be in heat, but it is hard to tell with her. She is a nubian and is usually noisy. When she is in heat she is just a tad noisier.

We took Blossom out on the leash and SO walked her in the field and let her browse. In the meantime Flower and Billy "messed around".

Early this morning, SO gets me up to tell me, that Billy is now all lovey-dovey with Blossom.

We are so excited. Looks like we got Billy just in time :ya

We'll find out in about 23 days or so ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:bun I need to figure out this breeding thing soon. My Daisy is 9 months too! No signs of heat for her or the Nubian, Donkey. :idunno

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Ok, so Billy our little buckling has a bump under his ear. It wasn't their yesterday. I am hoping it is a spider bite, but I fear it is CL.

I have removed him from the goat pasture. he is not happy about that.
Now I am researching, if there is anything I can do. How contageous is it. Is the meat still good to eat. We had planned on selling him as soon as the girls got pregnant. I hate having to drop everything and deal with this.
I am supposed to paint the trim DD's baby's room today, and I was looking forward to that.
Oh well, I'll post on BYH also.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
CL = Caseous Lymphadenitis
CL abscess
according to my goatbook: Affected animals may have to be culled to prevent transmission of the disease to the othe herdmates.

I am researching more on it on BYH and other sources.
We set Billy up in a lean to made of crappy old plywood against and old boat. I put bedding in there and sat in there for a while so Billy would be comfortable. He came in and I scratched his head. Then he went to eat his hay.

I am so bummed out about this. And I am really praying that it is something else and is gone by morning.

But just in case, I covered the lump with gauze and tape.