Blossom & Flower, a sporatic goat journal _ I think Billy has CL

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I went out this morning and found Flower loudly bleating at the fence and no Blossom. I looked in the pen and she was laying down in the hay, not moving. I thought she was dead!

I ran to her and noticed movement, picked her up and ran to the house, SO saw me and realized immediately that something was seriously wrong. He gathered up the animal carrier that we were using for the chicks. We put Flower in the carrier so she could go with us to the vet. Fortunately the vet is only 15 minutes away.

She may have eaten a poisonous plant, or have a vitamin B1 (thiamine) deficiency or somthing else that I cannot remember. He gave her mineral oil, charcoal and electrolites. He also gave her a shot for pain and antibiotic and some other stuff I cannot remember.
They are keeping her there, so they can keep an eye on her and treat her if neccessary.
He gave her something in the nose. I cannot remember what it was, I'll find out when I get the bill. He says he gives it to organic herds too. It helps the immune system. So he gave it to Flower also, since we brought her along.

We are so worried that we'll loose her. At least she was sitting up by the time we left the vet's.

He also stated that he thinks people wean goats too early. He works with 4H and has his 4H kids keep the kids on milk til at least 12 weeks, especially bottle babies. He said that it is very likely for kids to experiment with more foodstuff in the yard, when they are being weaned. It's as if they are looking for something to replace the milk. He also pointed out, when they go off their feed, they will often still take the bottle, thus getting their nourishment.

Please send prayers and good vibes to Blossom for a speedy recovery.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:hugs So sorry to hear the bad news. At least it sounds like you have a knowledgeable vet to help with the situation. Times like this it is good to have someone you can count on.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh no!

but good thing you have a vet nearby that knows what he's doing!!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Bummer.....
Good vibes sent out from the Branch Ranch. :fl

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey FD, :frow

I am so sorry to hear that she is sick! :hugs Hope she is on the up and up now.

Thank you for the info on babies being weened too early, I'll keep that in mind when my own bottle baby lamb needs to be weened. I was going to ween him a one month as the breeder said...now (even though the milk isn't cheap) I'm going to keep him on for another two weeks or so.

:hugs

Latest posts