Bones clicking and popping.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The past couple months my bone have been clicking and popping especially in my arms and shoulders. Does anyone know the cause or any remedies?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me wonder how many of our health issues are caused by the food we eat. Every thing on the grocery store shelves is processed. Fresh vegetables from our gardens, wrought by our own hands gives the benefits of exercise and good food. If unable to grow all that we want due to health issues or space, we can find small farmers and purchase from them. Those of us with excess can bless those around us. While eating from our gardens, meat we raised, fresh milk, or eggs from our hens, may not address all our health problems, it sure goes a long way.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I get a charlie horse on the left middle of my ribcage on my chest. I have to be bending far forward and holding it for it to start. It doesn't happen all the time. It's always the exact same spot.

Now Mom suffered debilitating leg cramps for years. Ones that would wake her up screaming. Magnesium deficiency can cause them as well so she took that. She had many health problems that got worse but the leg cramps were horrible. The Hyland leg cramp pills were one of the few things that helped.

Mom is diabetic and had been on a long acting insulin for years that I cant remember the name of. In 2018, her blood sugars had become so erratic that the doctor took her off it and she was using regular insulin for a month while they tried to find another one for ber to try. Her blood sugars stablized and and dropped. She actually needed less insulin by the end of the month. She asked to just stay on that for a while. Within 6 months a huge amount of the health problems she'd been having disappeared.

That included the leg cramp issue. It just vanished. She hasnt had one in over a year and a half now. Doctor has her listed as unable to take that other insulin. Her A1C is at 6.2 now and she needs very little of the regular insulin.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@tortoise the wife does have hypermobility issues and is susceptible to bruising. She has so much going on, this is way down on the list. She also is particular to being touched by strangers. She does get knots in her back, along her spine, which I will massage out manually. I also massage the spot in her palm between her thumb and pointer finger with my thumb to reduce migraine pain. That's about it

Not trained in any sense, just seem to have an innate ability to gently resolve the issues as they occur.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me wonder how many of our health issues are caused by the food we eat. Every thing on the grocery store shelves is processed. Fresh vegetables from our gardens, wrought by our own hands gives the benefits of exercise and good food. If unable to grow all that we want due to health issues or space, we can find small farmers and purchase from them. Those of us with excess can bless those around us. While eating from our gardens, meat we raised, fresh milk, or eggs from our hens, may not address all our health problems, it sure goes a long way.
I think most of them. However, I believe how we ate as children is the #1 factor. If you want a fascnating read on the topic, Deep Nutrition by Catherine Shanahan MD aka Dr Cate is one of the best books I have ever read. Mind blowing!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mom was getting really horrible leg cramps for many years until we found out that excess sugar was the main trigger, especially if she was eating or drinking it on an empty stomach. i don't think she's had those for the past year or so now, which is a huge relief to her and me as it really sucks to see someone in so much pain that they can barely walk or move but the only way the cramps would go away was if she got up and tried to walk around until she could hobble around. and as someone who had children and gets her teeth drilled without shots she's not a wimp when it comes down to pain.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I forgot to add-- you don't drink the raspberry vinegar straight; it's diluted with water or sparkling water when you are ready to drink it. I'm not a fan of vinegar except for vinaigrette salad dressing, but I found this very tasty. I made some that was a combination of raspberry and blackberry that was really nice!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm surprised joint hypermobility didnt come up in this conversation (yet). About 10% of the population has benign or non-generalized joint hypermobility. Lax ligaments allow more motion in the joint which permits excess popping and clicking.

In females, ligament laxity is more pronounced in the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle. (And during pregnancy, and thereafter a second pregnancy).

Vitamin C may help over long term. Glucosamine sulfate may help in those who also have allergic symptoms. Glucosamine sulfate inhibits mast cells in connective tissue. Theres a hypothesis (research pending) that mast cell activity causes the degradation of collagen in hypermobility disorders.

Prolotherapy and physical therapies are the best current treatments for hypermobility. A physical therapist can teach you how to move without stretching the joint capsule.

Clicks can be tendon snaps. If so, a physical therapist can help you with that too.

Massage therapy is not recommended in general for hypermobility, except if needed to correct a subluxation or relieve pressure on nerves.

Sorry to write a book! I hope it helps the next person who searches fir or stumbles upon this thread!