Bones clicking and popping.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Errr.....depending on the noise. There are about a dozen reasons for crepitus, or joint noise.....knuckle cracking is a typical one, that is the synovial fluid in the joint being forced to expand quickly and it becomes a gas briefly, before settling back into fluid. This is why knuckle-crackers have to wait for the joints to "settle" before another round of cracking. (And thank goodness, why do some people think it is ok to crack their knuckles in a meeting????)

Basically, if the noise is not accompanied by pain, there is little need for worry. Generally. Mostly. :)

It can also be a tendon slipping across the boney bump that normally holds it in place when the joint is flexed, then it slips back when the joint is extended or returned to it's neutral position. No pain? No worry.

Muscle tension can increase some noises, and a good, deep massage can help a lot. Some noises can develop when joints start to lose stability with overstretched ligaments, as in repeated or severe sprains. These aren't so harmless.

Thanks for reviving this thread, I was so busy when it was originally posted, and I'd wanted to reply and forgot. :rolleyes:

The fact that you have pain is an indication that you should take some action and get evaluated. At 40-something, some pain is normal in active people, but also an indicator that it is time to take charge and start doing some maintenence so that it doesn't get worse. It could be something very simple that can be resolved quickly. In my experience (quite a bit), left alone, it might go into hibernation, but it will rear it's ugly head again and again, and only get worse if you ignore it.

I have a lot of success in staying relatively pain-free (notice the word relatively :rolleyes:) by using a GOOD chiropractor and getting massage regularly. That means every week when there is an issue and minimum of once a month to prevent issues. That is for my body and the abuse I gave it over the years! Everyone is different.

By GOOD chiropractor, I mean someone who adjusts EVERY joint in the body and who also addresses the muscles in each session, too. I don't like to be attached to a machine for that part. Look for neuromuscular therapy or Applied Kinesiology, both great techniques that a lazy doc will not be using, only a dedicated one. There are other great techniques out there, these are only two. The key is an appt that is more than 5 minutes, and someone who works with more than just the spine.

For massage therapy, look for a LICENSED therapist, with a few years experience if possible, and not with a relaxation focus. Look for pain management, problem solving work. The therapist needs to find all your areas of pain, not just the ones you are currently aware of......very often, the "problem" area is silent to the client and the good therapist will know where to explore for the culprit.

I teach it this way to my massage therapy students.....imagine two athletes, one on each side of a door (two muscles on each side of a joint....say, your shoulder), both are pulling on the door, struggling against each other.

One is a jockey, and one is a football player.

The jockey will be the one that is hurting, the football player won't be complaining, he is winning. But if you just work on the whining jockey and never notice the football player and never get him to STOP pulling against the jockey, the pain will return the moment the client gets off the table, or soon after.

This struggle can also put a tremendous strain on the hinges of the door, and the doorknob, etc, and injure them, too (your joints and tendons and ligaments.) So the sooner you can stop the pulling contest, the sooner healing can take place.

Sometimes muscle tension is the entire issue, sometimes it is part of the issue, and sometimes it is as a result of whatever the issue is.

Hope this long lecture helps....

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I miss being massaged :)

In some circumstances, I'm sorry I do not have the correct term for this other way of massage other than the suction method, just as an example. The suction could be a little harsh for some people, so I think lifting rather the pressure may be a better option.

Vitamin C, I agree is a very important for many ailments and as a preventative.
Cupping is preferred to massage for people with hypermobile joints, however, many people with hypermobility disorders may have tissue fragility as well so that cupping causes excessive bruising.

I have a hypermobility disorder, but thankfully cupping works well for me. My doctor suggested it.

If chiropractor is too aggressive of therapy, a manipulation by a doctor of osteopathy might work well. I had that done because my ribs and pelvis (SI joint) get misaligned and/or subluxate. It helped but was too expensive to do as often as I needed.

@FarmerJamie , is your family dealing with this stuff too?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't remember the painkiller the doctor prescribed. It made me narcoleptic if I sat still for 2 minutes. That was a new sensation as I've always had insomnia issues.

He did not recommend surgery, just shoe changes once the problem was figured out. That worked fine. No issues since. I just can't wear a lot of shoes types, which sucks since I have narrow feet and finding shoes that don't slip is hard. Thong style sandals are the only kind I can wear. I found a good loafer that fits right and is nice enough for casual or dress wear. I can wear Bog brand boots for outdoor work. Muck brand puts pressure on the wrong spot. Plain cheapo rubber ones cripple me.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I once had heel bone spurs on both feet and could hardly walk. They were painful. I did some homeopathic research and came up with Hylands #1 Cell Salt, Calc Fluor. I took 4 tablets under my tongue 3 times a day. In a few weeks, the pain diminished quite a bit. In a few months, the bone spurs were gone. the pills don't cost much, @Hinotori why don't you try them? It sure did me a lot of good.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't remember the painkiller the doctor prescribed. It made me narcoleptic if I sat still for 2 minutes. That was a new sensation as I've always had insomnia issues.

He did not recommend surgery, just shoe changes once the problem was figured out. That worked fine. No issues since. I just can't wear a lot of shoes types, which sucks since I have narrow feet and finding shoes that don't slip is hard. Thong style sandals are the only kind I can wear. I found a good loafer that fits right and is nice enough for casual or dress wear. I can wear Bog brand boots for outdoor work. Muck brand puts pressure on the wrong spot. Plain cheapo rubber ones cripple me.

happy feet are so important. glad you found out what was going on.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I once had heel bone spurs on both feet and could hardly walk. They were painful. I did some homeopathic research and came up with Hylands #1 Cell Salt, Calc Fluor. I took 4 tablets under my tongue 3 times a day. In a few weeks, the pain diminished quite a bit. In a few months, the bone spurs were gone. the pills don't cost much, @Hinotori why don't you try them? It sure did me a lot of good.

Hyland is a decent company. I have some of their leg cramp pills in the cupboard because they also work on a chronic Charlie horse I get if I stretch and bend a specific way. I'll have tk try them. I'll let my Mom know as well. She has serious bone spurs that cause pain. Mine are mostly benign.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Lady , you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for this info. :)

Latest posts