Boyd - Day in the life of a hillbilly stuck in Michigan..

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
01. Name? Boyd
02. Gender? male
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? world, bigger n better
04. What is your favorite color? green
05. What is your favorite kind of gum? none
06. How much do you weigh? 220lbs
07. How tall are you? 5'7
08. Can you swim? yep
09. Do you like to swim? yep
10. Living arrangement? Married with children.... love and marriage love and marriage... go together like a.........
11. What's on your mouse pad? frog
12. Favorite board game? Monopoly
13. Favorite magazine? Mother Earth News
14. Favorite Actor? Bruce Willis
15. Favorite Actress? Lindsay Lohan
16. Do you have an accent? depends on what part of the country I'm in at the moment
17. Favorite smells? Cut grass, blanching greens
18. Least favorite smells? Eviscerating rabbits makes a putrid stink..
19. Favorite sound? quiet
20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? oceans.. Its where we dump the bodies
21. Do you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer? no
22. Pencil or pen? both
23. Who's better - boys or girls? Depends on situation
24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? no
25. Do you sing in the shower? no
26. Who's the best looking Disney character? Cruella Deville
27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? Craptastic!
28. How many rings before you answer the phone? 2
29. How do you want to die? on my 99th birthday in bed with a set of twins shot to death by their enraged husbands
30. Have you ever called a 900 number? no
31. Gold or silver? yellow gold
32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? Yup, and have. I would recommend
33. Do you like dressing up? no way
34. Would you rather be short or tall? tall
35. Do you enjoy reading? yes
36. What book are you reading now? Finished Impact
37. Favorite books? too many to count
38. What was the last movie you saw? To market to market to buy a fat pig
39. Favorite movies? Documentaries
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? no
41. What is your sign? My zodiac? Libra
42. What are your personality traits? Dry sense of humor and a smart butt
43. What's your biggest fear? blindness
44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? no
45. Future child's name? Is it a boy or a girl? I've had 19 kids go through our household in the past 12 years....
46. Favorite foods? real home grown and cooked foods
47. Chocolate or vanilla? chocolate
48. Do you like to drive fast? Faster the better?
49. Storms - cool or scary? Both
50. Do you like to dance? no
51. Do you do drugs? no
52. Do you smoke? no
53. What do you think of people who smoke? who cares
54. Do you drink? yeah
55. Favorite drink? water
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? no
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? yeah
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? Farmer
59. What's your "type"? long hair, curvy, my wife to be blunt ;)
60. Do you bite your nails? yup
61. Any siblings? a bunch
62. What movies have you cried in? I don't cry
63. Do you believe in God? yeah
64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? once upon a time...
65. Have you ever stolen anything? not that I can remember
66. Do you procrastinate? no, I manage my time differently ;)
67. Do you believe in fate? Karma
68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Grouch
69. Do you organize your CD's? pile
70. What is your favorite kind of music? Metal
71. What are your favorite bands/artists? Nirvana, Pantera, Korn, Sepultura etc
72. What was the last CD you got? Garbage
73. MTV or VH1? neither
74. Who do you admire the most? Grandpa
75. Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends? no
76. Are you single? no
77. Favorite TV show? documentaries
78. Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? All of the above?!
79. Glasses or contacts? glasses
80. What color are your eyes? Hazel
81. What is your natural hair color? Sandy blonde shot through with white
82. But what color is it now? same
83. Have you ever been in love? hope so
84. Any pets? rabbits, dogs and a sock puppet
85. Good, decent, or poor grades? Good.
86. Is the glass half empty or half full? full
87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? yep
88. What's under your bed? don't look, and I won't tell ;)
89. What is your favorite number? 7
90. Favorite sport to watch?Football

So I'll be back in a little bit to monologue about myself, put some pictures up and finish the essay ;)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good to see you here Boyd :ya

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, so if ya'll don't know me, pull up a chair and let me tell you all about my favorite subject.. me.

Ok ok ok, not really..

But here we go anways ;)

Parents divorced when I was young, and both remarried. I went to live with my mom and step-dad for quite a while. Folks called us the "funny farm" because we took in strays.. All kinds from 4 legged to 2 legged. My parents fostered before the state stepped in and said Excuse me, you need a license to help out the local community..

So they did. I have more sibs than I can count, and it takes 5 tables pushed together at the restaurant for us all to sit down at.

Baby squirrels, sick skunks, Horses, pony and a jackass named Damon... wait, that's my little brother; nevermind.. :)

My grandpa and grandma stayed with us 7-8 months out of the year, and my grandma was the one with the green thumb. Needing a little solitude, I often wandered the yard with her picking flowers, growing things and trying to figure out how the heck a "Rock Garden" qualified as a garden..

fast forward 30 some years and I've been married twice, divorced once, 3 boys of my own, and my wife reminded me last night that we've had 16 kids living with us in addition from foster care. Since feeding a demon horde of kids from the country and state we grow a lot of our own food. Gardening and raising our own meat (rabbits) has really helped cut down our grocery bills in the past 2-3 years.

And I had lost my job.. Back in jan '09 and couldn't find a job till november of '10... Nobody starved... Yeah, I was creative with meals, we ate more soups and stews than most, and when I hand the kids a bucket and tell them go pick dandelion greens they quit saying yuck.. And I did whatever kind of piecework I could to make ends meet. Good thing I had already started LTS of foods, because it lasted a family of 10 for almost 2 years and I had barely started prepping. When I found my job at the electronics factory, I started my preps all over again and ramping it up.

July of last year though; Found a home that was in a much better area, close(er) to a city where kids could take public transportation if they wanted and boasting of one of the best school districts in the area. Did I mention my taxes are high? We got the house for a song, I spent a couple weeks fixing up things here and there and then my wife's water broke early.

Lil timmy was born when we were inbetween houses. Moving out of one, moving into another, and thankfully was off the heart monitor quickly as we settled in here. This year I've started transforming my little 5 acres into the homestead I want. My main garden is 4000sq foot with 2 side gardens for spinach and greens. Along the trails in the woods we are going to plant Pole beans in piles of manure and encourage them to grow up trees... On the hillside out back we are going to do the same with pumpkins.

Anyhoodles, here's some pictures to get you started on what we're all about here!

100_0366.jpg

100_0367.jpg

100_0368.jpg

100_0369.jpg

100_0370.jpg

100_0371.jpg

S5300007.jpg

S5300002.jpg

S5300004.jpg

S5300005.jpg

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
WOO. That garden is bigger than my whole yard! I can't wait to see how it looks later in the year.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Hey Boyd! That is a huge garden!! (Cute kiddo too.)
The garden is roughly 40x100ish with a couple side gardens. No way I was going bend over and sow seeds by hand so last winter I bought an Earthway Precision Seeder, and do all the heavy work with a BCS with tiller attachment, chipper/shredder attachment... Wanting to get a brush hog to clear out some of the brushy stuff around the rabbit trails.

Oh, and I wanted to name this place the "Bunny Ranch" but my wife pointed out for a number of reasons that would be bad.. So ...... When we figure it out I'll have a fun lil name for our micro homestead :)

That's Kev in the pic, he's my green thumb kiddo ;) This october he'll have been in remission 5 years and considered cured!!!!

Last October I was able to drop a deer about 400 yards back from the house and the meats almost gone already so I am hoping to take 2-3 this year coming up.