Brand New to you but not self sufficient ways.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I remember when I was 10. My father said if I wanted to hunt I had to learn respect for animals. Part of this was to kill and butcher a sheep. This was to teach me proper care of the meat after a animal was taken. I went with him to his friends sheep farm picked one out and loaded it up. When we got back he gave me the .22 and I did the deed. He taught me the correct way to dress the animal and make all the cuts. How we owe it to the animal to make the greatest use of its bounty. I will always remeber that day. I have never regretted it. Raising animals and doing you own butchering is the best way. I see it as living up to your responsibility to the animal. You gave the animal a great life. Way better than what it would have recieved at a cattle ranch.

It is also a great way to come together as a family. I remember before that I was not a part of putting the animal down. But remember fondly cranking the grinder while my pops put the meat in. Or wrapping up the chops with wax paper with my mother.

Cheers!

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome! Sir Loin sounds very regal, and it sounds like he is making the farm his kingdom. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow welcome!!

we raised Boer goats and the bucks were huge. small ponies literally. and they can hurt you horribly.

have a pipe in your hand. whack onto horns. it gets their attention because it vibrates their skull. whenever dealing with my bucks I had my pipe. believe me it has saved some does and me many times :lol: you can't earn respect from them unless you can 'beat them'. without something in your hand, a person can't beat a very big buck who is intent on doing something.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Grovetucky - Welcome to the forum! I have a question irt the holstein. Did you get it as a bobby calf and raise it? If you have done this b4 is there a significant difference
in meat quality between the holstein and say, a hereford? I sometimes see holstein calves for sale and have wondered about that. I would love to raise my own beef and
have the room, but to buy say, an angus calf, is way out of my budget! I would appreciate your, or others insight in this! Thanks!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can remember on the old family farm in missouri there was an old horrible billy goat. They had to put a large piece of pvc pipe across the ends of his horns and a rope around the base of them. In order to go out to the horse herd you had to catch him first and tie him up cause he would nail you if you turned your back on him.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I was in FFA, my ag teacher used to say "if your fences can hold water, they will hold a goat!"