Breed distinction

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most unique I've had was the actual pink and the grass green. They were both hatchery easter eggers.

Mom loved those pink eggs. They weren't tan or tinted. That hen was a super layer, too. 6 eggs a week.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I appreciate your explanations and feelings about the different "classifications". I get very "bent out of shape" with people who don't know what they are talking about and are "experts" on different "breeds of chickens" . Thank you for your common sense and dedication to properly identifying true breeds as opposed to "hatchery labeled birds". I have had show/purebred poultry for over 40 years. Many different breeds at different times. It gets on my nerves when someone gets some hatchery birds, that are barely able to claim what breed they are, and suddenly start to promote the off spring as this breed or that breed. I am no expert on most breeds. But had a friend that bred Aracauna's and knew the ins and outs of them. He has had many breeds over the years and is quite well versed in most. A lifetime member of the APA and ABA and I love to listen to him talk about different breeds and the different color patterns of established breeds.

I started out with Standard SC Dark Brown Leghorns and then got some SC Light Brown leghorns in the 70's. Have had cochin bantams, and black Langshan bantams that were very prolific. Have had standard New Hampshires for years and some standard Black Langshans. Also had some others at different times. Hope to get back into breeding some more in the next year or 2 as my work schedule continues to slow down with "semi-retirement". Liked the Welsummers I had, the color pattern being a bit similar to the Light Br. leghorns. We don't have any call for white eggs here so I try to mostly have the brown egg layers. Have had a couple different breeds of turkeys and hope to get some more in the future.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really like the blue layers and did tons of research on the ameraucana and araucana. I feel for the poor people who get taken in about mislabeled easter eggers and post.

I breed partridge silkies now. I've done ok on shows. The color has so many issues that I'll have to work many more years. I've been working at improving for years. Still have comb shape and color issues on my roosters but I overcame the feather color issue. Comparing a hatchery silkie to ones from a good breeder is insane. Look like different breeds.

The poor ameraucana and araucana get the worst of it because of hatcheries. It irks me greatly.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don’t have photos at the moment but I’ll get some when I get home.
I have two hens who were sold to me as ameracaunas. I don’t care is she was wrong but one lays a bright blue eggs and the other more of a greenish blue. I’m thinking one is actually an auracauna ( I know my spelling is probably wrong). One is fat/fluffy (hence why she was named marshmallow peep) and the other is skinny almost rooster looking. Thoughts?
I not really knowledgeable in breeds as some are, but the eggs that they produce is good enough for me. :D the breed is not that important, :D:D:D.. All I know is you had a great deal.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the araucana. I just understand the tufted and rumpless genes. There are a few other things like skin color that make them distinctive from ameraucana. The araucana is the older breed.

Ameraucana I've kept and bred. Talked to lots of other breeders. I just had to make a choice on what I prefered to go forward with. I went with the blind feather balls, but I still keep a few ameraucana for my laying flock along with some easter eggers.

Don't ever cross silkies with ameraucana. Even crossing back to ameraucana or easter egger, they are laying small eggs. Granted they are small birds at about 3.5 pounds but will get a little bigger still. Opposite way for crossing I'm having skin color issues. 2 of the 3 chicks have white skin. Those are just "let's see what we get" experiments.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So Jellybean went to the rainbow bridge and I got another hen. My local supplier of my addiction isn’t sure if she’s a welsummer or an olive egger. Haven’t gotten an egg yet since I’ve had her only a week
9D3AE235-0C89-4C2E-BC48-62494597EB3A.jpeg
BDDAA63D-87EC-48CA-88BC-B940C95ABF21.jpeg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed, I really couldn't imagine a flock without them. Even feel strongly enough about that... just might be willing to pick up some EE from a feed store in the future.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agree on the EE. Welsummers don't have white earlobes.... but a cross could. She actually looks like a hatchery type light brown leghorn with the wrong color legs. Guess when you get eggs you will know.