Breeding season 2010

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow! That is awesome!!

Do you make kefir by chance? If you don't I would definitely recommend it!

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, I caught my little doe in heat today and took her in and had her AI'd. The timing seems to have been good and hopefully it was a success.

It cost me all of $25.00 and if she didn't take, I can have her re-bred for free.

I was actually expecting her to come into heat a couple of days ago and had re-scheduled my surgery because of it. :) Just kidding; my surgery didn't get scheduled because the state Labor and Industries is jerking me around and stalling, probably hoping I'll just forget about it. Kind of hard to do since I am basically walking around with a broken finger. :barnie

So hopefully five months from now I'll have a couple of nice little babies to bottle raise. :love

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
$25???!

I'm with you, Monique! I can see the light. I have suddenly decided that I really don't like bucks that much!

The two bucklings were in with Heathcliff again this morning. We decided, heck with that, they'll just have to stay together. They actually seem to get along pretty well, aside from peeing all over themselves.
And those bucklings, jeesh. Half the size of big ole Cliff, but they just go for a running jump and yup, they make it 'up' there, if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

And the stench. :sick
Did I tell you I have allergies when it comes to bucks in rut? Not kidding you. My nose plugs right up, throat gets all itchy.

Cinebar, I hope your gal takes!! Good luck!

edited typo.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Wow! If I could get AI for $25 here, I'd NEVER bother with a buck again! Even for five does...it would be well worth the extra money to not have the smell, the work, the feeding, and one less pen and shelter available to me.
Is that good? I've never had anything AI'd before and I have no idea what the going rate is.

She did say that since the semen came from a buck of her own (which she no longer has), and she didn't have to buy it herself, she's able to charge less.

Because I was stressing that I wouldn't be able to catch her in heat, I've actually been contemplating getting a buck - maybe looking for a buckling this spring that I could bottle raise - but the gal who did the AI pointed out to me that it takes two people (her and the woman who works for her) to control a full grown buck in rut and because I'm basically operating one-handed, it might not be realistic for me. And she's probably right.

And you're right. too. For $25.00, it is much cheaper and less hassle than keeping a buck. And when I did have bucks (I used to have a Saanen and a pygmy buck), there were always "accidents" - no matter how careful I was and how secure I thought the bucks were. Either there were those times the bucks got out or a doe managed to get in. In fact, one little pygmy doe got bred and to this day, I don't know how. Either she climbed over the five foot stock panels or she backed up to them- I have no idea - but she had four pure white (half Saanen) babies.

I tookZilli there in my station wagon and stopped at the store on the way home. I did get some funny looks. :gig

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Can I vent about my breeding season? If not, please tell me and I'll delete this. :p

I was having trouble selling my Ober buck, but I finally found the perfect solution. The lady who bought 2 of my doelings this spring wants to keep him there and use him for breeding in exchange for room and board. I'm in love with this idea, because she has a really great place for goats and takes wonderful care of them. I'll still own him and be able to get him in the fall to breed my doe.

Now the sheep are causing issues! My Romney ewe Purl is bred, no issues there, she went to the place where she was bred and came back home in early November. Darla, my Southdown ewe, is the problem. Or it's my Romney ram lamb, not sure which. Darla came into heat in early October. I saw the ram attempting, but never saw him complete his mission. I thought she didn't come back into heat. Well, a few days ago I saw her standing again. :he I saw him attempt breeding again, but no completion. :barnie I'm not sure if he's too short, which I really dont' think that's it because he's not tiny....or if he's just got other issues. I did an exam and did not find any physical abnormality besides what could be small testicles. Darn it.

Soooo, I called a local Suffolk breeder and asked if I could bring her there. No go, he already put his rams together and it would cause issues (pecking order issues) to take one out. I called another local breeder and he said he'd offer stud service for $70. He has a nice show ram, which I'm not looking for in particular, but that's why he charges so much. UGH. I don't really want to pay that much. These are going to be freezer lambs anyways!

I guess I'll call my neighbor who's ram I bred Darla to last year. She has Border Leicesters. She let me breed to him for free last year, so hopefully she'll do the same again...even though it's not my first choice.

I thought I wouldn't have any issues this year since I had my own ram. Wrong!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a question...about pygmys. I have tried ever so hard to keep the buck from the wee one. She was born I think it was May. Well...SHE was determined, and got through the fence....little hussie!!! She was just over 6 months when this happened. :/ I didnt want to breed her untill NEXT season...because of her size...but..well..there it is. She is preggers. So, being she is SO YOUNG...do you all think she will be OK?? I am so worried I will lose her and the little ones...dureing kidding.