Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just pulled the pecan pie out of the oven. It smells heavenly! The ham is going in at 4pm, and then the garlic knots will bake at the end. Green beans almondine and mashed cauliflower with red eye gravy complete the feast. Everything has been made with an eye to keeping the carbs (and calories!) down.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everything was delicious, although the pie was a little sweeter than I would have liked. My sugar cravings have really subsided on this diet.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Everything was delicious, although the pie was a little sweeter than I would have liked. My sugar cravings have really subsided on this diet.

yeah, i've sure noticed that here too, when cutting carbs and added sugars and not eating too many sweets, when i finally do have some i don't need as much to satisfy the craving. pecan pie is always a good choice, but since i'm a carbaholic any pie is fair game if it can't run faster than me. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses the pork belly is very easy, and so good! I pierce the skin with a sharp fork multiple times, then turn it over to score the meat side in finger width. Then rub the meat side with a mix of equal amounts of salt and Chinese Five Spice (1/2-1 tsp is enough). Then I place it on foil, meat side down and make a kind of envelope with the foil (so the fat will stay in the meat). Leave the open and set it in a cool place so the top will get very dry (I was in a hurry, so I sped it up a bit with some salt on top and used a hair dryer for a few minutes, lol). Then just bake it- 450F for 35 minutes DON'T OPEN THE DOOR, then drop it to 350 for another 35-40 minutes, then turn it off and let it rest inside for 15 more minutes, STILL NOT OPENING THE DOOR. That's all there is to it. If the fat isn't crispy enough, you can run it under the broiler for another 4 minutes or so, but be careful because it will scorch quickly now. Then just slice it up, following the scores you did earlier.

Scrambled eggs with ham for breakfast this morning, along with the last of the garlic knots. The best part of holidays is the leftovers, lol.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm Stuffed.jpg