Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted here...

I've been working on my Deep Storage Pantry. Taking everything off the shelving units, one at a time. I'm moving the shelving along the walls, instead of sticking out from them, so that they can be bolted to the walls more securely. Then wiping the jars clean, and organizing them by type-- meats, fruits, veggies, etc. I pulled out my bag of orphaned socks and started cutting them into 3-4" tubes and slipping them onto the glass jars so they don't knock against each other if we have a trembler.
It's a lot of work, but I'm nearly done now, and it looks really good. All that's left is to put up light-blocking curtains across the front of the shelf units.

When I'm done with that, then I'll tackle the other half of the room (it's a 10x20). That has our freeze dryer on one side. the south-facing window will be turned into a seed-starting station, and the other side- across from the freeze dryer- will have my sewing machine and craft supplies.
The room is well insulated, but I need to change the windows to double pane... then it won't be quite so expensive to keep it warm enough so that the canned foods don't freeze.

Today though, I stayed in the house and roasted nuts for snacking. I did walnuts, pecans, jungle peanuts, almonds, and brazil nuts. They taste so much better than the Planters mixed nuts, lol.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
managed to finish clearing a path to my freeze dryer, so I can start using it again. I still haven't found the speaker for my phone though... I was playing music in there while I worked and now it's disappeared.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This morning, I have a sinus headache and the slightest tickle in my throat. Hopefully nothing, but I took a dose of Oscillococcinum. Another dose due in 3 1/2 hours now.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
certificate.jpeg

Finally!