frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to do a better job of broody management too...ugh. I didn't even WANT broodies this year, lol. I counted eggs under one yesterday morning when she got up to eat....9 eggs. Not bad. Counted again this morning and there are 12. I never got out to candle last night but going to have to make myself do it this evening.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MMD, I love the variety you got out of that hatch...all colors! Very cute, very healthy looking chicks. Are you fermenting their feed too?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I LOVE to watch them! When I threw some scraps out today, the hen with one chick...yes, ONE!!...ran and grabbed some and took it to her chick! Dropped it down for the chick and clucked to it :love She has a nest in the barn, takes it there at night and had actually scooped loose hay up into a nice outer mound for a nest. The one with 6 chicks (these two shared) is on full attack if you even look her way. Great mom, 2nd yr in a row. I will band her to know which one as I have several white with some black spots. Want to keep her!
Good broodies are awesome :love

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Broody #3 is having her hatch today....7 are out and alive, one looks to have been smashed by mama and about 6-7 more eggs are yet to hatch. More WR than mixed breeds this hatch, which I'm pleased about.

The other two broodies and families are doing fine, they have 8 chicks each and are doing well on keeping them fed and fit.

I'm missing a BA out of the flock today...she has been coming and going out of the flock lately and I'm thinking she's either laying out in the woods and just isn't making it back for feeding time, or she's sitting a nest, which would be unusual for hatchery stock BAs...particularly the group I have, which have shown no broody tendencies. I hope she IS broody and going to come back trailing a bunch of chicks one day soon...that would be great.

If all the eggs hatch from this current hatch, I'll have 46 birds on the land this season, until fall butchering time.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hate those snakes! Last yr found one taking eggs from a hen 3 days before hatch. Got 3 but will never get another!

Called rat snakes but let me tell you, eggs are their favorite. PLENTY of mice and both I have dispatched were eating eggs.

Have hen & chicks running around and 3 more broody. Gotta get them on some eggs, penned up.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Paris usually shakes snakes to pieces. Then she kills each piece again and again. She HATES snakes! Our male GP, Trip is not impressed and does not attack them. This one was so big that she couldn't shake it to death. When we finally took it away, she was exhausted! LOL