Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the chick surprise, NH. Hens can be fierce.
Hinotori, sounds like you may be able to have those 2 hens foster the ones that hatch in the incubator - yes?

6 eggs, 6 chicks! Cute, fluffy, active. Can't ask for more. Her sister setting another small clutch of 7 (I think) & hatch date 6/8. Right now, that's it.

Hope for pics tomorrow....not posed & great like the silkies. :lol: So, dont get excited. Just lucky to get any. :p

I will post this one....it had been raining, this roo jumped up on the fence next to me. Had my phone out!
0616171825.jpg

this guy was hatch last Spring from eggs I bought locally. So tame but...odd bird. He & his bro kind of divided the girls. His are in a coop at night that he won't roost in. Each morning he meets me and walks to the coop with me to open it. At evening, he calls them in, then leaves. :idunno Roosts in the machine shed/goat barn you see in pic. This is every day for him. Stays with them all day. Yep, he's dad to several chicks on ground. Sweet & handsome roo.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup all the chicks are going in with the two hens. All eggs are due the same day.

I have some wood ashes in the coop that the broodies have been making use of and I checked the girls before they went in. Don't want bugs on the babies. Eggs are due in a week and a half

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Congrats on the chick surprise, NH. Hens can be fierce.
Hinotori, sounds like you may be able to have those 2 hens foster the ones that hatch in the incubator - yes?

6 eggs, 6 chicks! Cute, fluffy, active. Can't ask for more. Her sister setting another small clutch of 7 (I think) & hatch date 6/8. Right now, that's it.

Hope for pics tomorrow....not posed & great like the silkies. :lol: So, dont get excited. Just lucky to get any. :p

I will post this one....it had been raining, this roo jumped up on the fence next to me. Had my phone out!
View attachment 3470

this guy was hatch last Spring from eggs I bought locally. So tame but...odd bird. He & his bro kind of divided the girls. His are in a coop at night that he won't roost in. Each morning he meets me and walks to the coop with me to open it. At evening, he calls them in, then leaves. :idunno Roosts in the machine shed/goat barn you see in pic. This is every day for him. Stays with them all day. Yep, he's dad to several chicks on ground. Sweet & handsome roo.

That guy is a keeper! I hope you get to spend many a long year with him. He's beautiful!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't resist little fluffy butts! :love

I definitely have two broodies. One is a cochin mix and she is mean, mean, mean. She is jumping on everyone if they come near her even if she's eating and not on her nest. I can't even tell which production red girl is broody because out of the four I have only one has all her feathers (because she fights off the rooster) and she isn't the broody. The rest of my girls do seem to be on an egg holiday now, probably in a molt and of course the two broodies aren't laying. So no eggs for me. I expect it to be another couple of months (at least) before the New Hampshires start laying. By the way they are the sweetest things. I still need to get rid of the old rooster because of all my barebacked girls but he is a good flock guard so I keep postponing the inevitable. A few days ago the neighbors dog came over and the rooster had everyone in the coop hiding my little NH's climbed under a low bush and hid.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just came out to check on the nest when the meanest hen was off the nest and there was a little black fluffy butt hopping around the red broody. She was puffed up and growling (?) so we backed out and left her alone with the baby(ies ?).

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah so many chicks! Mine has Dominique coloring thus far, anxious to see what it turns into. Would have to have some more purebred doms hanging around!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's a "wait & see".....

These two began to set. I generally give them a few days before I place eggs(& them), in case they just want a day of rest, not eggs. Anyhow, the first had 6 put under her. The second had 7 put under her. Generally I collect all eggs from a possible setter every day -- at least check for any -- because sometimes another hen gives them one while they are up eating.

The first had been at it about 7-10 days when I decided second was serious. That night, found one egg as I was placing the 7. I removed it, so all eggs were same time set. Was not sure how long the lone egg had been there....somewhere between 1 & 7 days?? Had checked a couple times, none, then this one.

Not wanting to destroy it, I marked it and slid it under hen #1. When her 6 hatched, this week, I removed the lone egg that was still warm and all that.......quickly slipped it under hen two. Now, I have one egg that may hatch or not -- she's due 7/8 -- any day, or along with her others.

So, I check for a pip or chick now. If it's soon, I'll remove & place with other fluffy butts. If 1/2 way between, I'll probably have to keep it under lights for a couple days, then give the #2 hen when hers hatch. :idunno I don't need the chick but just could not destroy the egg without trying. Will let you know what happens with this "musical chairs" fiasco. :rolleyes::)