Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry, Icer. Miss Lydia...hmmm, definitely a spike.

So my "musical chair" chick decided Independence Day meant freedom. Nothing this AM but, few min ago I looked over the wall at the lady in waiting and saw this fuzzball peaking out. Dry and warm but can't stay as her eggs are due 7/8. Afraid she may abandon at this last minute if it stayed, so I quickly removed the chick and have it inside by a bottle of hot water. It's fine. In a few days I will sneak it back with new hatchlings. Others are 6 days and too mobile for this one....guess I'll broody it till weekend when others hatch.

Uncovered for a quick-pic....
View attachment 3554

Best luck with that chick. I always hated singles. It shouldn't be much of a problem getting it attached to her in a few days though.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well our last little Swedish Flower got out and the other chickens got it. So far the hatchlings are staying with the two moms. I let them out to move the pen and those two moms were going ballistic on the other hens. The two roosters ran off. Finally while moms were fighting we grabbed the five babies and put in the pen and moms soon followed.

Side note: It's a good thing I moved the broodies and chicks because we have another snake in the coop. I guess I will have to try the mothball method.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, NO! At least you were able save the others. That's a good thin.

I just came in from the barn....yes, it's late. But home from work at 7:40 doesn't leave a lot of daylight. On way off back porch I check into the pen for hen & 6 chicks from last week...not in there. She's gotten out last 2 days & I let them out yesterday for couple hrs, closed up pen when she took them in. I'm looking under everything anywhere close. Close up all coops. Get flashlight, keep looking. It starts to shower Great!

Decide she could have flown into barn & gotten them to go thru a chain link gate at one end. Didn't flip lights as I had flashlight & wasn't by the switches. Not there. Decide to check on hen setting 7 eggs (just hatched this musical chair one) & go into stall by her, reach down to pull her up and there I notice a black slithery thing! Yep about 3 inches from her & me. I'm sure it's a rat snake....doesn't matter....he is NOT GETTING these eggs due to hatch 7/8 !! So, with flashlight in hand I grab a board leaning up in there and pound. He moved, me too. I slam it several times & know it didn't do enough damage but, didn't feel good -- I was hammering!!! Go get machete & he's disappeared. Look where he was and find an opening about 2X2 between the block foundation & wood frame of stall wall.. Go to other side & look for it. Then sprayed some strong cinnamon oil onto the opening and surround hen about 3' out. Hope it keeps it out!!! they don't like spices. (all 7 eggs still there!)

thinking...dummy!! you are after a snake in the dark with a flash light.:thAnd you hate snakes!!! Not gonna have those eggs without a fight! Back out to find that hen with chicks. All the tall grasses, etc. FIND her! As I suspected, all chicks tucked in. Back into barn, dry bucket for chicks, grab her (she's wet but they are toasty & dry :love) Under protest I put them all back into their dry hut for the night. She's settled in now.

Lone chick is snuggling to a hot water bottle until siblings hatch out. I will place some traps for snake in AM. Don't think it will return tonight, not across that wet cinnamon oil spray!

This is what I got home to after a 10 hr work day. Don't make me mad, I'll fight :old That snake wiil not live long. It's young, maybe 3-4' . If I catch it alive will take to the river about 5 miles away....probably won't be alive.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So glad you got out there just in time! Hard to get motivated after a long day at work - but - that's what we do!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Im so glad the only snakes we really have here are the little garter snakes. I've seen a rubber boa once. They normally stay away.

Glad you chased that snake away from the nest. Hope you take care of it

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Something keep saying "go check"... got my flashlight, grabbed the machete as I walked into barn (I keep it right by the door) walked over & looked. There was that black shiny rascal, looking out from under a section of pallet. Went around & in.

The good, bad & ugly. It got two eggs :(...They will be the last thing it will ever eat :somad. Took it out to the road in front of the house...scavengers will get it.

I hate snakes.

Now I won't be able to go to sleep. :mad:

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww sorry after all your effort the snake got 2 eggs. Glad you got it finally.
We have blk snakes here that prey on eggs and babies and they get 6' long. That is my biggest worry when eggs are being laid and we have chicks . So far we've managed to stay ahead of them this year.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Glad to hear mom and the chicks are o.k. and you got the snake. Sorry to hear about the egg losses though :( I usually like snakes, but only as long as they stay in their place, i.e. away from me and mine.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
as long as they stay in their place, i.e. away from me and mine

Yep! ... and they will keep after those eggs! Better 2 than all 7 :\ they will hatch tomorrow...ish. All that wait time gone.

Haven't had issues until now -- this year -- so, feel it hasn't been there very long & won't be there again. The good news. LOL

We all deal with these "everyday" things. Stay away snakes.