Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
100_0572.JPG
You'll make me go plonk that hen back on the nest @CrealCritter!

I'll add fuel to the fire....pure chick joydom!

100_3207.jpg
100_0570.JPG
100_0571.JPG
100_2147.jpg
100_3196.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MMD, I love the variety you got out of that hatch...all colors! Very cute, very healthy looking chicks. Are you fermenting their feed too?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Ahh, you guys are killing me! I don't have a feed store here that sells chicks and my incubator is not working. I'm going to have to sit on the eggs :lol:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, I've got a new batch of FF started. I had to restart after my trip. It was super cute last night to see a three day old chick scratching the DL like an old pro. :D
And your batch looks like they have even more variety than mine! It'll be fun to watch them all grow.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got a broody hatch tonight, to which I added 6 feed store pullet chicks. Also added two older FS chicks to the other broody's family, to give her an even 10 chicks to brood.

Got 3 BA, 2 Welsummer, and 3 Sapphire Gems...yeah, I never heard of them before tonight either, though I knew they were a sex link bird I'd never really seen a pic or did any research. They are WEIRD looking as adults but seem to come from Plymouth Rock genetics, which can't be all that bad.

I've never really seen much good out of sex link birds but I hope these are different as they add visual interest to the flock's colors.

Sapphire Gem....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Color variance always adds interest. Plus helps tell them part if missing and/or the culprit in crime. :rolleyes: I have a lot of black right now. But, last year I did get some lovely colors on a few of them from the influence of my BR, BO & some EEs. I do enjoy the different ones.

So, today the hen in the trailer is hatching eggs. Unfortunately either she or another (found a hen up there when I went out) killed a couple. Appears they were after the shells and the little ones hadn't gotten totally out. I removed those and also the ones still wetish but not harmed. Placed them is a suitable location to finish coming into the world. More are pipping, so will be a lotta trips back & forth today. Will prepare a pen for her & the chicks so I can transfer her tonight.

#2 hen in barn decided she'd take the one chick I had not collected and be a mom. :he Took 3 eggs left and scooted them under #3 who is in the stall feeder. We will see how that goes. If unhatched in week, will take away and leave her with the other ones.

Right now, if I could find some day old chicks of a breed I wanted, I'd buy and foster them with mom now hatching. May look on CL. Guy near me often has Cream Legbars & I'd love a few of those. Don't need any more chickens but you all know about the "math" :lol:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tmp_6916-IMG_20180505_09291437489321.jpg
tmp_6916-IMG_20180505_1522131744920266.jpg

Mom's got her chicks out in the yard free ranging now. Mom seemed to very thoroughly enjoy a dust bath today. Her first in a month. Just in time too as it's raining now, and her spot is now muddy. The oldest chick is 8 days old. Max did get kind of close today, but he backed away fast when mom came after him.
Suddenly all the hens want to be broody. I threw them all off the nest. Some nests will have two fighting for the nest. Only one repeatedly returned no matter what, all week, so she got a nestful of fresh eggs today, and I put her in the other pen. She's upstairs with her eggs, and mom and chicks are downstairs. All others are in the other pen.