Broody hen

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never done anything special for a broody hen, although I lost one day old chick this year that got outside and couldnt get back in. Mama was still sitting on eggs.

Dont really get to see chicks much, they hide under mama all the time.
So then am I over thinking it?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so thinking about alternate options in case I don't have a hen go broody.

I have never done chicks, what would be the minimum sized brooder needed for 5-7 standard sized chickens (Buff Orpington, Sapphire Gem, Cream Legbar or similar)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm with @frustratedearthmother ... when your hen gets up once a day to eat/drink and poop, the others just can't seem to NOT add to that nest. I've used dog crate in the coop, like small dog size. When left open, more eggs happen. An option would be to mark the eggs you bring in and every couple days, toss any others. Since you have no roo, not an issue.

Last spring a regular broody had a clutch of 9, Which became larger and larger! When she had hatched 12 she got off the nest. I saw her and chicks, gathered the other 7 and put in incubator. They all hatched over the next week. We both did a fine job raising chicks! 🙄🙃. She was infinitely better at teaching them to forage and scratch.

Because of the fertile eggs, I like to put my hens in separate pens while they incubate.😊

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh I have had ducks and chickens brood together. Now that’s really wild.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used a cardboard box and an incandescent light bulb with my last chicks. I had 4
Like an appliance box?

Did you keep them in the house? I am thinking either basement or garage, but not the main .

Or I was thinking rubber totes too but read not to integrate with older hens til.10-12 weeks and a tub seems small for that and I dont have a separate coop to move them to. I could do a dog crate in the run and coop but for 4-6 weeks that seems small too, and not a lot of fun for them.