Broodys all over the place!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 5 NH chicks I got from a man who said he ordered too many. He said they were all pullets but now they are feathered out I'm thinking at least 4 are cockerels, maybe all 5. Either way they will be put to good use feeding my family. Right now they are free range except for the chick feed I throw them 2 or 3 times a day to keep them close to the house.

They are doing well with the pullets and roosters. I kept them in a small pen right near the chicken coop and when I would feed them I would throw hands full of feed or scraps around the edge of their pen so they could see one another for the last few weeks. I pen them up at night in the same little pen so the big chickens don't land on them and crush them coming down in the morning. This happened several times last year. I want a broody so I will probably have to get a silky, bantam or a game to get one.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I got given a game hen (OE LF) by our local travellers last year, complete with a clutch of chicks. They are AMAZING mothers!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OR get Orpingtons. I love mine. Those girls want to set and right now I WANT them to. One began 2 days ago, I take eggs but, once she's shown 3-4 days determination I put her in a broody pen one night with a nest of eggs. So far that has worked will for me. This hen hatched some for me last year and while 2 were roos, they are the tamest ones I have. I had some hatch almost 2 wks ago, from "coop choice" eggs (as BeeKissed so aptly named them :)). Moms were a 3 different breeds but, great moms! I'm ok with whatever I get.

Now that my BO is a go, I have a doz eggs from yesterday and day before to use tonight when I re-nest her. I pick eggs that are from the best hens & nicest eggs, best layers, good temperaments & also most are heavy birds. Many of these will be EEs that hatch. If I were able to get another go broody fairly soon I would be thrilled!

As BeeKissed says, it's the best way, easiest way and so, so cute. Yes, your hens are out of egg laying for a few months but, worth it in the end. I figure I can lose 5 doz eggs for her to hatch & raise the chicks. The chicks have been worth it to me.:old:clap

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have heard really great things about B0's. It's funny but I never see them here. Most people have either RIR, EE's, or mutts.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The new seperate coop with run below has been very good for a broody raising chicks. This silkie hen still has all 12 chicks growing good. I'll move them all over into the silkie pens in about a month.

Since I always have broodies (because silkies), I'll start a new batch of eggs and move another hen over at that time.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we had game hens we never had summer eggs because everyone was broody. I went from 8 hens and one rooster to over 60 chickens by winter. Each hen hatched out two or three clutches of eggs.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well silkie hens are small chickens at 2 pounds so they don't eat much. Mine often co-brood. Had 4 raising 7 chicks once. One would hide the chicks from me and the other three would attack.

Broodies raising the chicks is the very best part to me. I just have to provide the food and water and she makes sure they are warm and taken care of

I run an incubator and give them the chicks now because some aren't the best and moving the eggs around from outside to inside in the nest. Hatches would run to long and hen would give up on the last few.

Having a small enclosure for the first week has worked out well for me this time. I didn't unblock the ramp down until the chicks were a week old.

Hen has gotten how to go down the ramp but not up since it is a new concept for her. Chicks figured that out fast.

Latest posts