Budgeting for groceries

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
According to that, my family needs (approximately) 180 a week on the thrifty plan. If I did the generous plan's math correctly, I'd need approximately THREE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS A WEEK. Where are they getting these numbers?!?!?!?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Here in NE Ohio, a small crate/bag of clementines cost $9 for 8 to 10 pieces of fruit! If you are seeing the same costs, cutting out the clementines could save you a bundle.. :D

Seriously, we've found that "In Season", "Local" and "Bulk Buying" are the way to true cost savings in grocery purchasing. Plan in your budget to buy 1 bushel of apples or peaches, quarts of berries or other fruits you really like when they are in season; then can, dehydrate, and freeze.

Will you have a root cellar or cold storage area in your new home? Many fruits and veggies can be stored there instead of the refrigerator. For instance, it is 40 in our pantry year-round, so we use that area for most food storage, including bulk grains.

Keeping a journal, as already recommended, is the way to go whenever you are moving to a new area. We gave ourselves 6 months after moving from Ohio to Texas to get used to the items and prices available in our new locale.

Good luck on the move!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I have to smile at Keljonma's advice to ditch the clementines :) I agree. They're considered a luxury in our home. Here, we get a tiny box (maybe 12 clementines) for at least $6. I can get a bushel box of grapefruits or oranges from an FFA sale for $22. WAY more fruit for my $.

As KJM says, go local, bulk and in season. It takes planning and work, but it sounds like you're willing for that.

When apples go on bigtime sale here at the end of the season, we buy loads and make sauce, fruit leather, dried apples, canned filling. Lately, we've been getting free apples as long as we don't mind picking up a friend's windfalls and dealing with bees and bruises. We don't.

In season: Hit your summer markets. Most market vendors are happy to sell you a bulk load of something for a better price rather than haul it home at the end of the day. So, make sauce, salsa, canned beans, whatever.

If you are able to, garden next year. It would be hard to estimate how many $100s a family can save through gardening. It is a LOT of work. The summer work never ends, but we find it really enjoyable, satisfying, and a tremendously huge money saver (time not included). Not only do we eat out of the garden from May-Nov, but we can and freeze like crazy all season long and eat from the cellar and freezer all the rest of the year. That would do wonders for your food budget.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Here in NE Ohio, a small crate/bag of clementines cost $9 for 8 to 10 pieces of fruit! If you are seeing the same costs, cutting out the clementines could save you a bundle.. :D
GOOD G-D NO! I paid 3 and change for 3 lbs of fruit.

Seriously, we've found that "In Season", "Local" and "Bulk Buying" are the way to true cost savings in grocery purchasing.
Apples, which we do eat. Citrus, which we eat in moderation. What else?

can, dehydrate, and freeze.
The kids won't eat canned or dried fruit and I haven't a clue what to do with frozen other than smoothies. Suggestions?

Will you have a root cellar or cold storage area in your new home?
What new home? I've been in this new apartment since August and I'm hoping to not move again. I'm lost... but I have a back injury and can't do stairs. We keep grains in the freezer.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
SandraMort said:
What new home? I've been in this new apartment since August and I'm hoping to not move again. I'm lost... but I have a back injury and can't do stairs. We keep grains in the freezer.
Your signature line says you are moving to 8 acres soon.......

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Here, we get a tiny box (maybe 12 clementines) for at least $6.
NO, at those prices I wouldn't buy them.

I can get a bushel box of grapefruits or oranges from an FFA sale for $22. WAY more fruit for my $.
Unfortunately, I seem to react to the pesticides in most citrus and can only eat the organically grown without my tongue and mouth itching and giving me pre anaphylactic type symptoms. For some reason, until this year, clementines were the only citrus that didn't. This year they just taste terrible to me, like an off metallic taste, so I'm not eating them anyway.

When apples go on bigtime sale here at the end of the season, we buy loads and make sauce, fruit leather, dried apples, canned filling.
That's the problem. None of that is stuff we're willing to eat. We eat fruit fresh but not much else.

In season: Hit your summer markets.
Alas, I live near Woodstock. You know, happy hippy woodstock? That means that the summer markets cater to the NYC weekend crowd and not only are they not cheaper than stores, they're much higher. Farm stands w/o live help do have good prices *if* there's anything left & driving around looking is not cost effective because of the gas & my time. And now they're all closed for the winter, all but the yuppy monthly farmer's market.

If you are able to, garden next year. It would be hard to estimate how many $100s a family can save through gardening.
On the contrary, I've lost track of how much money I've lost through gardening on rented property and suddenly needing to move. It almost seems like murphy waits for me to plant to have everything hit me. Maybe I'm superstitious but I had one tomato plant in a pot bear fruit over the past decade.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh! That was from the summer. I'm here now. Thanks for pointing it out!

keljonma said:
SandraMort said:
Your signature line says you are moving to 8 acres soon.......

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Check around your area for small local farmers willing to sell to individuals.

This past summer we found an Amish farmer local to us who sold apples, pears & peaches by the bushel, quite inexpensively too.

A local farm had pick your own blueberries, another had grapes. At the end of season, they both reduced prices to - come pick for free, so that the fruit wouldn't rot.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The kids won't eat canned or dried fruit and I haven't a clue what to do with frozen other than smoothies. Suggestions?
I like to mix up a bowl of different frozen fruits (peaches, berries, whatever) and keep it in the refrigerator this time of year when there is no local fruit available. It's great just to eat as a fruit cocktail, or with yogurt or cottage cheese.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SandraMort said:
According to that, my family needs (approximately) 180 a week on the thrifty plan. If I did the generous plan's math correctly, I'd need approximately THREE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS A WEEK. Where are they getting these numbers?!?!?!?
Those numbers come from an average model nation-wide. They take the expected amount of nutrients needed and price them out according to a Minimum Standard of Need function. It's a guideline used to prepare foodstamps allocations and those types of things.