NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We love our plucker but it did cost more than I prefer to admit! We do enough birds, and I like to have whole birds to roast, that it's worth it. Or will be eventually, lol. You can do 4 birds or more at a time, which is nice because we usually have a gang of people processing to get it over with! It didn't like the 44 lb (dressed) turkey though...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wasn't our turkey- dude was so proud. I don't even know how he fit it in the oven! He barely fit in our biggest kill cone. We have no interest in birds that big, plus our heritage turkeys max out well before that!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WHOA -- now that's a "too big" turkey.

Yep, you can make a plucker to put on your drill, get 2 drums, line bottom with trash bag, other on top with most of one side out to insert bird , which you hold and rotate. Plans online. I believe I actually downloaded them once, will look. If so, I'll post it.

I plan to butcher in 2-3 weeks...some excess roos. So, reading, watching & getting "self" ready. :rolleyes: Haven't done this in several years and know it's just a messy, messy job!! BUT back to it. It will help me plan for chickens/turkeys for freezer next year.

OK -- got to admit, steer beef sounding good. :confused: Maybe!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's called a whiz bang plucker. But there are probably ways to do it without paying for the plans that go with the name.

DH is butchering this weekend. As long as his back holds out.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It would take me forever to use a 2 gallon bottle of bleach. Bleach is on my list of bad chemicals. I keep some around for butchering day because I scrub everything with bleach water before, during and after slaughter. It gives me a headache and I never get headaches. I really need to go get our bodacious cardboard cone off the fence and put it up before it rains.....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It would take me forever to use a 2 gallon bottle of bleach. Bleach is on my list of bad chemicals. I keep some around for butchering day because I scrub everything with bleach water before, during and after slaughter. It gives me a headache and I never get headaches. I really need to go get our bodacious cardboard cone off the fence and put it up before it rains.....

I'm betting you could use a gal. jug of ACV with the same effect...they have a nice, long body on them. Even a jug from laundry detergent may yield the same effect.

They each have shoulders and sturdy plastic that could hold the weight of the birds.