Butchering day...yech! (Warning: Graphic description!)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I just need to get over myself and be willing to chop a head or two, skin it, or pluck it, whatever.

I am so looking forward to eating one of my own birds one day.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The birds we butchered were laying hens past their prime, so they were meant for soup, but my meat birds!!!!! Honestly the best meat i have ever eaten before in my life!!!!!!! but we send those out the the abbattoir.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so I had to look up the word abbatoir in the dictionary. Is this a Canadian thing or do they have them in the US as well? that would make things really easy. I need to call my local butcher.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They have them here also....new one going in about 15 miles from me! Abbatoir=slaughterhouse.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Sorry, abbattoir is a Canadian word and yes, it equals slaughterhouse
Just sounds classier, doesn't it? ;) Around here they call them meatpacking, processing plants, etc. I think Abbatoir sounds like Armoire....much better than closet, chiffarobe or wardrobe!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Right up until slaughter time I was still messing with the idea of pithing, cuz it seemed better to me. But at the last minute I knew I could not do it.
We had everything ready. I held the chicken while DH cut off head. I put the chicken into the cone and held onto the feet. About two minutes later he started convulsing so I am glad I had ahold of him.
DH skinned two and I dry plucked one. The dry plucking was easier than I expected but very time consuming. Skinning also seemed less stinky.
We will be skinning from now on. Next weekend most likely. My hens are getting run ragged and I am getting tired of stepping on them cuz they are underfoot to get away from the roosters. LOL :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok, would someone please explain the cone to me? :|

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Ok, would someone please explain the cone to me? :|
Yo put the body of the bird in the cone to hold it when flapping around. Some have used old chimney pipe for this. I just held onto the birds.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll tell ya, Miss_thenorth you are a stronger person than me. And braver.
I handled it all very well and I attribute it to the cone. I let go of the feet once and it made me really sad so I just held on.
You can also kill them when they are placed in the cone. Slitting the throat or by pithing. Like I said, we chose to cut the heads off then put them into the cone.