Butchering day...yech! (Warning: Graphic description!)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, butchered the ten broilers my niece gave me that had gotten too old at 4 mo. to still be tender. These birds were like Frankenstein chickens!!! I've never seen more ugly and weird birds in my life. Just unnatural, they were. :p

Anyway, tried the "pithing" method. Does not work! Had plenty of birds on which to practice the method. I practically scrambled these birds brains...the entire brain....and they still did not "relax and close their eyes" like the description on the BYC! I tried all the angles suggested, the twisting suggested, the depth suggested (actually punched through the heads with the knife a couple of times). They just bled brains and gore out their mouths and went wild when we tried to cut the jugular veins.....the usual flapping and mess of blood flying. Ended up finally just cutting off heads per usual to end the drama.

Nasty business, at best. Glad the hard part is done, the absolutely huge birds are now chilling.....and so am I. :caf Soooooo glad that is done.

I will tell you this....I don't think I would ever buy some of these Frankenstein birds, even though meaty. I'll stick to regular extra roos for my meat production, thank you! Icky-poo!

Now....bow season starts Oct. 18th....bring on the tenderloin and deer burger. Another messy, icky job with great rewards for the family food budget!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am so thankful you posted this today. We are butchering in four days and I was going to try the pithing method. NOPE NOT GOING TO NOW.
i would post a green face BUT WE DONT HAVE ONE!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
roosmom said:
I am so thankful you posted this today. We are butchering in four days and I was going to try the pithing method. NOPE NOT GOING TO NOW.
i would post a green face BUT WE DONT HAVE ONE!!!
yeah, I know.... :thun Sometimes one really needs the green face to express the sheer ickiness of the situation. I mean, I'm a pretty stone cold killer when it comes to butchering~had to be, as I was the designated helper on butchering day when I was growing up~but this was pretty gross even for me! I tried every angle of the knife, every area of skull cavity available....I basically just cleaned out the brain cavity until the contents were pouring out the beaks.....the birds were still moving, their eyes were open and they still put up a fight when the jugular was opened. I'm quite traumatized by the gore, actually. Next I'm trying killing cones and the loppers. Can't be worse than this episode! :idunno

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When hubby and I did our 5 non-laying--laying hens, I suggested the pithing method to dh, and we opted for the throat slit. Didn't use a cone. He sliced and I held the birds until they stopped flopping. we figured it was easier. And it did go quite smoothly.

Now, I'm quite glad tht we did it the way we did.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not a method I will be trying.

I like the old axe!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Now I feel better about failing at it myself (on one chicken - could not face trying it again so reverted to axe) the other week when I did 5 of my CornishX.

My suspicion is that you have to hit the right place (probably fairly far back on the brain) FIRST GO. I want to study the anatomy more before I try again - next time I am whacking off heads I intend to do some practice work with them, so that at least I have a firmer idea of what I am doing mechanically - and then I still don't know whether I will actually try the debraining thing without SEEING it properly done.

I'm with Beekissed, a *failed* version is really gruesome and I felt just terrible for the poor chicken -- although I think that the pain it felt was a lot shorter-lived than the gruesome struggles.

Pat, sticking with stump and hatchet method for now

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was told by a lady Iknow to use a BB gun (pistol) and shoot them in the brain and let them lay for about 5 minutes, then go on with the usual cutting of the jugular then put the bird in a cone so it can bleed out.

We are gonna try this when the time comes for us to butcher our meaties.

I'll post back here and let you all know how it goes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks! My boys would simply LOVE to shoot the chickens with BBs! I'm always getting on to them for shooting towards the chickens. They think I'm too stupid to realize they are actually shooting AT them! :p

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well you all are better at self sufficiency than me. I'm still working up to butchering birds for meat.

My husband says his mom would just stand out on the back porch and shoot their head off. Sheesh.

Actually this is how our conversation went around meat birds:

Me: Honey, what do you think about raising a few broilers next spring?

Him:OK

Me: So do you think you could do the head cutting and the plucking while I lay down in bed and cry?

Him:OK

Me: So I guess we're getting meat birds!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are going to use the cone method beekissed. I decided that long ago when I saw the plans for it. I knew I could not take seeing a bird flop around after I cut the head off. Like I said, the deed is this weekend. OH YEAH, my huband informed me last nite that he was not building a plucker......OOOOOk. Guess I will learn to do that.