By request ... How I process my turkeys - WARNING FOWL pictures!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
GREAT WORK, FF!!!

and excellent pix - love the double sink..wish i had one.

we got an extra fridge also - cheap.. like crazy craigslist cheap. normally its the beer fridge (mini beer fridge? really? ha!).. but when we dress meat we turn it down to the lowest setting and clear it out. this helps chill the birds really fast and i can get at least 5 turkeys in at one time (but a couple extra drinks).

Tanks - did you get your temp question answered? we use a kitchen thermometer... it helps if you have the right temp. we got one of those extra big plastic tubs at the grocery store for like $5 and we pour the hot water into it so the whole bird gets dunked.

FF - after the first couple we get tired and i just nip off the ends of the wings.. we are the worst pluckers ever so its just easier to toss that part.

one last tip i learned from Turkey Steve - we use those big ol' bolt cutters to take the trotters (and wing tips) off.

:)

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Must be turkey season. We did three Bourbon Reds this weekend and used our Craigslist table top plucker for the first time. Old but effective.

Kinda like me. :D

Fun thread. Nice job!! :thumbsup

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmFresh, thanks so much for doing this :bow

I too, live on a small "homestead" (3/4 of an acre) and you have inspired me.

I have grappled with the idea of raising turkeys and now after reading this, my decision has been made!

Anticipating the rest... :caf

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I love your directions!! They are different from what SO does and what my grandmother did. But I like yours better.
Love your setup too.

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi Farmfresh,

A big Thank You from over here in the UK....!! I killed & processed 10 cockerels, ALONE. earlier this year ( after a lot of reseach on various US forums, videos, etc). I don't think I could have managed a heavy turkey though... too heavy for me...!!
Over here it is so difficult to find visual information as people are very squeamish......!!! Also we don't have killing cones so I had to start by making my own ( I adapted a very chic metal plant pot). I was very proud of myself & did a few boys at a time as my 70 year old body could not cope with more.....my hands siezed up as it was.

I was agreeably surprised at how easily I took to it.....my boys were 11 month old Dorkings & made great eating. I was very amazed at how clean & non-smelly or yucky they were inside; completely different to any store bought bird I had ever cut up but you do have to be very organised before you start.

I just wish I had seen your pictures before I started....I would not have been so scared.......!! One more thing ; they tasted wonderful. My hens have reared 28 hatchilings this summer so I have about half of them to process at various times later this year. I am not going to wait until they are as old as the first lot......that way I (& my neighbours) won't have to suffer their noisy crowing.

Once again many thanks....I shall adapt my processing methods to yours as it looks easier. :bow

Hattie