Calling all wood heaters

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
Y'all are so lucky, I wish could burn wood, but alas no fire place.
Me too. My grandma burns wood, I have to stack it. clean out the ashes, etc.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think there are different codes depending on where you live for installing new fireplaces. We added this one about 2 years ago now. We also have a gas fireplace but rarely use it since we installed this one. My husband and I did the stone work and then he and a friend installed the stove. It had to be a certain distance from the walls and there was double walled chimney and all this other stuff. Our friend used to do this for a living (istalling fireplaces) so he was a big help!

BroncoFireplaceStonework017.jpg

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I love your wood burner! Where did you get that wonderful tool set--or did you make it?

kenman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We use an Earthstove to burn wood. Thankfully it was already here when we bought the house. We love it. We have figured our savings in gas run between $200-300 per month during the winter. Our wood is free for the cutting, which is hard word but I enjoy it. It gets you warm twice, getting it cut and then burning it. We had an ice storm last winter and was without electricity for well over a week. No need to worry, house stayed cozy, did alot of cooking in or on the stove, we made it just fine. Funny thing was that the electric bill for that month was as high as usual!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We live in an old 1920's house. We were blessed with a masonry fireplace and chimney with no dampers!

After we installed a high efficiency natural gas furnace we found the high efficiency furnace exhausts acidic fumes that were destroying our chimney. We had the furnace side lined with a steel liner and the fireplace side lined with a stainless liner and packed with an insulation product for chimneys that will help stabilize the chimney and the flu pipes as well.

We always had an insert in the fireplace - due to not having a damper, but two years ago we upgraded to a high efficiency cast iron wood stove/insert with a blower. We burn half of the wood, get twice the heat and it is beautiful as well! We also use ceiling fans throughout the house to gently circulate the heat.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner---I love the antler rack fireplace tool set!
Is that homemade? Great idea!!!!!

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We actually purchased this one. My husband is going to try to make another one. He said it does not appear that it would be that difficult and he has plenty of antlers around! Its just the time he needs now!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is definitely something Tony could make from his "laying around" antlers also. I really think it is attractive!
Cool
Time--you said it there, who has time to make projects that are fun..HA HA...always seems to be real work around to occupy our time..HA HA

I bet tons of great things could be made with antlers....I will have to google some info and see what people make out there in the world.
Thanks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We found this one a a booth at a craft typw show. This guy had tons of stuff made out of antlers...lamps, knife handles, coat racks or boards with antlers attached to hang stuff on. It was really cool if you are into that kind of thing. It goes really well with our rustic decor (funny but that is just kind of how the house turned out!) My husband said don't spend money on that when I can make it, but I bought the fireplace tool set anyway (my one purchase of the day) just because I knew he wouldn't get around to it any time soon. I am sure if kyou googled antler crafts or something like that you could come up with hundreds of ideas!! Especially if you google images. :)

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we have a Buck stove, 20zc to be exact (VERY efficient with a catalyst) it is a zero clearance but can be set in a floor like the pic of the one posted before. you can cook on it if needed. it has a triple wall galv. with stainless inner wall. it was fairly inexpensive compared to some and when im using the stove at max heat i can put my hand on the pipe and its just barely warm