Calling all wood heaters

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
W have 2 wood stoves. One is an old Dover stove (circa1985) and the other is an Old Hickory box stove (we use it very little). We have a brick chimney for the Dover. The brick chimney has our oil furnace hooked to it in the basement and the Dover hooked to it in our living room on the first floor. We have an open floor plan on the first floor and a loft that is 2/3 of the second floor. The Dover stove is some what inefficient but we use this to our advantage. The brick chimney is a 2 flue, rather large, chimney that radiates the heat it absorbes (from the inefficient Dover) back into the house. Because the chimney is in the center of the house, with nothing blocking on any side, it acts as a radiator, heating the house for hours after the stove has gone out. We, in past years, have heated our 1800 sq ft log home with 3 cord of wood and 300 gal of heatng oil. The oil also went to heat our household hot water for the year, which is also done by our furnace. Since it gets quite cold here in Vermont, I don't think this is too bad.

The other stove is in our "3 season room" and we light it only when we want to use that room in the winter, which is very seldom. That chimney is Metalbestos.

Our brick chimney was a prefabricated chimney. It came to our construction site on a flatbed in 3 foot sections. The masons that built it, do it this way so that they have work all winter. The build the sections in their shop in the winter and assemble them together in the summer. The chimney only took one day to put together on our home site. The chimney, from the basement to the top is about 40 feet tall. It was quite the thing to watch them pick each section up with a boom truck and lower it through a hole in the roof. Good old yankee ingenuity! It was also cheeper to have it done this way. We couldn't have afforded to pay 2 masons for weeks to build this chimney on site, one brick at a time.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Hi dacjohns and all,

looks like we got the same stove model

Using single wall pipe for the lower, great heat radiation, and double in the roof of course, no spark arrestor though, maybe should add some screening?

chimney41.jpg

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just thought I would jump in on this one. We have an older model wood stove. It a King. Has the blower for heat. Its an UGLY thing....but it works great! We have a split level home.The wood stove is in the family room, in the basement. I got the wood stove for free from a customer where I used to work. We did save for the brick/tile chimney. It was almost $3000.00 to have it put in, but well worth it. See, we had to have it put in on the north side of the house.Its the ONLY place availiable on this home. We talked with several contractors, and they all agreed they brick chimney was better due to location.Metal stove pipes would have only lasted a few years at best, being on the north side of the house. I can tell you...we heat this whole house with one wood stove. We still have the furnace set on 65 in the winter...for overnights. We will be putting in open floor vents, to let the heat upstairs more effeciently. Our wood is free for the cutting...hard work, but well worth it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We will be putting in open floor vents, to let the heat upstairs more effeciently.

******that is a big key. get that heat throughout the house with those vents...maybe your heater will never kick on even set at 65 then! Cool...great money saver but yes, a backbreaker sometimes stacking wood!!!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
another tip...you know those bathroom exhaust fans...we instal them in with the floor vents so the actually take the heat from the ceiling in the basement where the woodstove is and it results in a kind of 'forced air' wood heating.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi MorelCabin,

MorelCabin said:
another tip...you know those bathroom exhaust fans...we instal them in with the floor vents so the actually take the heat from the ceiling in the basement where the woodstove is and it results in a kind of 'forced air' wood heating.
Great idea on the floor vents with fans.

I have kinda the opposite problem though, also use bathroom vents to move air. My stove is on the south side, so the north side is always 10 degrees or more cooler. 2 floor house, no basement. (no central heat)

I had 2 bathroom exhaust fans put in the first floor ceiling of hte north side to create a constant draw of air towards the colder north side. They do work, raising the temp about 5 deg., and best of all only use 3.5 watts each, so I can basically leave them on 24/7. Shutting them down once a day for an hour or so during the coldest months.

In this pic the vent goes far into the other side of the door transom via flexible piping.

chimney41_1.jpg

any chance of you folks posting pics of your floor vents? would love to see.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ours is directly above the woodstove, but we have flexible pipe to bring it to a more convenient place on the main floor...like right under my computer desk haha:>)

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is the solution my friend needs. He keeps complaining about how expensive it is to heat his B&B, and I keep telling him to put a stove in his basement. He's always saying " where's the heat gonna go?"

up my friend, up

Thanks,

johnE

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
" where's the heat gonna go?"

up my friend, up

LOL-LOL-LOL

just stuck me as simple but funny!!!:D