Calliopia _ Newbie Adventures in Self Sufficiency

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hugs

Seems like there's a few too many *S$(#&*)@& for you lately!! I hope things turn around!

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you...

Things go in spurts. My husband says I have a little ball of chaos that follow me around and occasionally it catches up with me. This month is hectic and has things like scheduling the mortgage payment on the wrong week and carsplosions. Next month will have something fun like putting up a greenhouse or selling a bunch of fabric or getting our tax refund.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Calliopia said:
Thank you...

Things go in spurts. My husband says I have a little ball of chaos that follow me around and occasionally it catches up with me. This month is hectic and has things like scheduling the mortgage payment on the wrong week and carsplosions. Next month will have something fun like putting up a greenhouse or selling a bunch of fabric or getting our tax refund.
Oh, I have one of those balls o'chaos too. :/

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yeah... Murphy isn't a family name for no reason. Generally that which can go awry will. Nothing HORRIBLE, just annoying or ruefully smirksome.

In other news, I've been using my "at home time" to start additional pots of random plants. In raiding my seed basket for what every I think might be willing to grow in the basement I have an extra spinach and lettuce thing, cilantro, savory and fennel. I started cauliflower and brussel sprouts with the intent of moving them to cold frames or something.

Progress continues on the quilt although I think I will have to cut more circles soon.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. Another snow day likely Thursday. It would be a good time to start organizing the seed starting area in the basement!

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We tried the sauerkraut last night. It's still pretty crunchy and I put way too many caraway seeds in it but it has an interesting flavor. It's more like just brined cabbage rather than actual sauerkraut.

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
As part of my fill the freezer with tasty tidbits endeavor I picked up 17 packing roosters this morning. I think they are all just red or black sexlinks so there's not much chance of a hen in there but they'll make perfectly good crockpot chickens in a couple months.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Great job on the roosters! So do you pick them up on an ongoing basis or do you get a group and get them raised and processed and then do another batch?

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I pick them up and either raise them to processing age or process them when I get them depending on how old they are.

I post to Craigslist looking for free or cheap roosters and spent hens and the emails roll in.