CAn anyone suggest a 'natural' hair dye for brunettes?

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
Colored Egg Farmer, we don't have Wegmans here but I will check Whole Foods. :)

I started noticed gray hairs when I turned 27 and always go as long as I can w'out the dye. In fact, over the winter I read an article (in Self, I believe) about a woman in her 30s accepting her grey and letting in grow in. It looks great on her, all grey but still long and soft. I decided to do that too. But mine is not uniform. Its random on my head, espescially on the top and the grays stick out like straw! (That's what I see, anyway) Too many too pluck.

ams3651 , I like the idea about using a semi-permanent and choosing a color closer to the grey.

BTW, I started my personal page yesterday on my day off. Its not hard, please do the same so I can put faces with names, all you beautiful people!!!! :)

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Interesting topic, seeing how I was looking in the mirror checking out my hair yesterday morning, wondering what to do next! I started getting grey hairs during my 3rd pregnancy (2001) probably from all the stress. I've had many hair styles since then. (like what Simple Life described as her hair changes). My mom's always been my stylist. She'd rather me just highlite it and says the greys look like highlites in my hair anyways. But I've gone dark brown/auburn/red...etc. This past spring I had her dye it to a little darker than my natural color (dark blond) and then left it. Now that fall is here it's lookin' pretty icky over the half that grew out. There's no spark to it...lol, weird way to describe it, bu it just looks BLAH. Which makes my skin look blah as well.

Sooooo, can't decide if I should color it/highlite it/or leave it blah looking, but healthy feeling. Since I'm presenting at some conferences this fall, I'd like to look decent and presentable, not like a SAHM who doesn't take care of herself. So I guess my decision comes down to more of worrying about how others would view me. (sadly)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey beekissed

I have no idea if or when I will ever stop coloring my hair. I have med/light brown with alot of gray happening...LOL----but I color to blonde! I love blonde so for me I will be doing it a long time......but my Mom is 81 now and she stopped dying her hair aobut 75 or so.....she said she is just sick of doing it. My Mom smoked her whole life and quit smoking at age 77....LOL...she said she was sick of it also.

So for me I guess it is just something I will keep up with cause I enjoy the color blonde on me. Not tired of it yet.

Some ladies look wonderful in gray or tones of graying out, some gray doesn't appeal on them...but that doesn't matter, it is what the person wants to do.....if you want to quit, go for it, if ya want to continue, go for it..LOL---definitely a personal choice on just what color you want, how much time and work ya want to put into it. There is definitely no right or wrong answer on this one :)

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
There is definitely no right or wrong answer on this one :)
I agree, no right or wrong. For me I started getting gray early and have never dyed my hair. I am lucky that from a distance, and a bit up close as well, my gray looks like highlights. I always figured that I "earned" the gray, and blame it on the kids ;)

I also appreciate all the money I have saved over the years. I actually taught DH to trim my hair also so I don't have to go visit Mom to have that done. I think I have been to a salon perhaps four or five times in my life, and I usually wasn't very happy with what they did. Cutting hair for me is another "sufficient self" action. I guess dying hair at home is the same :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Its so funny how many of us has our Mom to cut our hair. I left the salon crying once and that was enough for me...I stay with Mom! I find that hairdressers don't listen to anything you say, they just do what they think would look nice! I've only had one colorist who could get it right, the rest of them have turned out highlights or color that one might try if it were Halloween! :lol:

Mom cuts my hair and I now color at home. The problem with trying to find a hair color that matches grey is that its blonde....those treatments strip the color and leave my hair dry and brittle. Well, over time it does. After a while I find my hair looks brassy and fake, not to mention that blonde hair coloring doesn't cover grey well, so it turns out a little gold, a little silver.

I stopped perming years ago and found that I have a very natural curl in my hair that requires no perming. I'm hoping to stop coloring and find my hair has a very pretty color all on its own under all that disguise! :fl

Krjwaj, have a look at this and tell me what you think? I haven't taken the time to really peruse the sight....

http://www.naturalhairdye.com/color/naturtint/naturtintp/index.html

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My Mom cut my hair ONCE....after that I ran and wouldn't let her touch me. Horrible...I had long beautiful blonde hair and she cut me to a "pixie" type.....ugh....hated it. After that I never got my hair back to long, long like I wanted it......I wish she never did that but it is only hair..LOL..so whatever. I am leaving Nicoles hair untouched, just trims and when older she can decide if she wants bangs, cut short, whatever she wants.

When I get the over-dyed blonde look I color back to light brunette. Stay that way for a bit, then color back to blonde. I don't know why but it seems to put my hair back into a better state, less chemicals to go brown vs. blonde I guess....hairdresser told me to do that and it seems to work. Everyone freaks when they see me brunette but so many say I look younger brown...but again, I love the blonde..HA HA...so does Tony!!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, beekissed...That looks like something I would consider. What do you think of the price?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Little pricey for my taste! You could always do the onion skin thing but I don't know how one would saturate and soak one's hair long enough for it to dye well. :p

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had grey hairs in high school. Then when I went through a bad period in my life it went all grey. In 6 months I went from grey streaks to all grey. I was in my 30's. So I had it colored. The original color was auburn. So I said "Dye it auburn please". I looked like Lucille Ball. I was so mad. Dh laughed at me and that made it worse. Now its Loreal Medium brown every month! I hate dying it but I get a skunk stripe if I don't. Then dh laughs and I get mad. And there we go again! I'm in my 40's now. I have two toddlers that could make the pope cuss. I earned the grey but I'll fight it while longer!

Makeup .... I wish I knew how to wear it. My mom never taught me. My mother-in-law made me up once and I looked nice. Then I tired at home a few times and I looked like a hooker. Plus I poked my eye with the liner pencil. I just can't get the hang of that!

Let me know if you find a natural hair dye!!!! Please!!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well...the first stage of my transformation is complete. Went back to original color and I had to get used to it. Now waiting impatiently for the silver to show up! I feel soooooo freeee!

Embracing my silver side feels right. I hope it turns out kind of pretty. I have very thick, naturally curly hair in the same style I've had for.....well....for longer than I will admit to, but I will tell you that the style is kind of 80s! :p

A graduated shag, sort of, because my hair is so thick and curly that it has to be layered. It won't grow long past a certain point...I don't know why. It just gets....bigger! :rolleyes: Its a little past my shoulders and that's where it stays.

Heigh, Ho, Silver! And awaaaaaaaayyyyyyy! :D