Can I bring my goats from CA to NY?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am thinking about possibly moving to New York state. My folks are getting older and need help. They have 7 acres in the country and would love to have me move in with them.

So I am considering the possibilities. I really would want to bring Flower and Blossom with me. I have become so attached to them, not to mention the money I have sunk into them already.

Does anyone have any ideas what it would take to transport them across the country. I don't mean having a trailer and such, but the legalities. I would put my girls in the back seat of my car if I have to. :lol: I just can't imagin my life without my little goats anymore. I don't need a cat or a dog, just my adorable goats.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have no idea but I know leaving with them would be a heck of a lot easier than coming!!! We had to stop at the checkpoint this side of Vegas. The poor people admitted to having an out of state orange. We waited forever in line while they dug it out.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't see how there would be any legalities that you would need to consider. ??. Your going from state to state, obviously crossing many other states, but, it's not like your crosing international borders. The only consideration would be having them be in a car for a very long time. am I missing something? I know I could take my critters across country no probs, if I stay in my country and not cut through the states.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You need a vet health paper. The vet would need to find out what the state of New York requires as far as tests such as brucellosis or TB, etc. If I were you, I would go ahead and have that done. If you are pulled over and the state police of any state request to see that paper and you don't have it, they can confiscate your animals. Depending on the tests required, it may be minimal fees. If you have to do stuff like the brucellosis and TB, it does start adding up but really doesn't end up being that much. You could even contact your vet to see what they would charge. I think you can even go to the department of agriculture of the state you are going to and find out for yourself what they require. The states in between don't care as long as you have the health paper.

By the way, it usually can't be done sooner than 60 days prior to when you will be in that state and even check to see if they want to see it for less than 30 days to be sure.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Don't know here either, but it sounds doable. Maybe your vet would know? Or know who would know?
Where are your folks in NY? I have family all over the place!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/AI/AILaws/AI-202 Part 351 2009.pdf

This is the link that gives you the details on what you have to have to enter the state of New York (or enter their state fair). It is a bit confusing but will give you an idea. From what I can tell, the only thing they are concerned with for goats is scrapie and soremouth. I would talk to your vet and I bet they would know or could quickly find out if that is all that is required.

I have had to get lots of health papers over the years because of going to alpaca shows in state and out of state. The alpaca shows always required a health paper. It is officially called a certificate of veterinary inspection. So you need a certificate of veterinary inspection to cross state lines.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
But what about all the states she will need to pass through to get there? Any rules there? Must the stay trailered at all times???

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only state that matters on the health certificate is the one that she is going to. All the states in between will honor that certificate. The animals will generally have to stay on the trailer on in the car or whatever. But you can take them out for breaks at rest stops. I had no problems when I took my alpacas out for breaks. But they were on leads and it was only for a short period of time. They mainly stayed on the trailer.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Oh golly. That's going to be quite the move Denise! But just think! 7 acres!! Wow.

I've never transported goats before but I had heard that you do need health papers in case you do get pulled over.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the advice so far. I figured, if you need food/fruit inspectons to cross the states, yo probably also need famr animals controls of some kind.
ksalvagno Thanks for the info and links. I'll check them out when I have a moment.

I am just looking into my options here. I don't exactly relish the thought of living in the same house as my father, or being his caretaker, but SO is no walk on the beach either.

At least my parent's house is big, even though it needs lots of work. there are 7 acres and it is in "the county".

So, I am just considering and a little naggy voice in that very back of my head keeps saying that this might be a good optin for me.

Just imagine 7 acres of land in the way out back country. the road got paved only 1 year ago. There is a well, power, a large house that needs lots of fixing :)rolleyes:) woods, some land cleared, and I know many of the people in the area . Of course they have nasty winters with lots of snow or cold and wet. Years of either too much rain or not enough, my Dad! But it might be under my control in the end. My father wants to die there and my mother cannot wait to leave. I don't think either of my siblings would fight me for it in the end. It would not be an easy life, but 7 acres is doable for survival, I think.

I will be visiting in a few weeks for dad's 80th birthday. I am looking forward to it. Both my sis and brother will be there with their partners. SO declined to go, siting all sorts of excuses. The family was going to pay his airfair as they are paying mine.

So If the subject comes up, he will not have a vote. and I may end up moving with or without him. But I really want to bring my goats :D