Can I bring my goats from CA to NY?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am along the way as well! I don't have much yard, but I do have friends with good acreage, a free stall to loan, and lots of hay very nearby! ;)

I also have a futon bed waiting for a friend who needs to crash for a few nights. :D

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FD: that was my first thought, about your daughter and the baby that is coming. Now that I know its due in Feb, then perhaps you could move after your DD and baby get settled into a routine.

But, if you are like me, holding your first grandchild after the birth, you fall in love all over again. Yes, we love our children (most of the time), but there is that magical effect of the first grandbaby and knowing you can love it, cherish it, pamper it, and then hand it back. :hide Truly special, especially when they are toddlers and you get tired of them!!! :gig

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think you need to do some serious research specifically the Federal Scrapie Eradication Uniform Methods and Rules. I don't know much about goats except they are difficult to fence in. Apparently they can have a disease called Scrapies that is much like mad cow disease-no known cure. Many states have regulations on moving goats since areas are known to be infected. My simple answer is probally not legally.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
For Scrapies they will (usually) require to put a tag in their ear (what little bit of ear your goats have). This tag will identify where they come from (herd or owner usually) and in the case that one of your goats has Scrapies, they can pinpoint where the animal originated and will then need to enforce their regulations, which is usually to kill all of those animals, including your own in case they are infected, thus 'preventing' the spread.

However, if your goats are registered, they will not need to receive this tag, since their tattoos usually work the same way.

Now, it is obvious that Flower and Blossom do not have Scrapies, so you should be able to get them tagged without any issues (if this is what your state requires) and then be able to transport.

I went through the whole Scrapies thing a couple years ago for 4-H, hate the tags because they can get snagged and caught on stuff and tear the ear, which is what happened to poor Libby who had a Scrapie tag when we bought her.

Each state might be different but that's how it is in MN..