Can I bring my goats from CA to NY?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I may end up moving with or without him. But I really want to bring my goats :D
:gig

It's not so bad out here in the East. The snow means you can have stuff like maple syrup, and a break from all that outdoor work (almost!) And cozy days inside by the fire, tending to stuff on the stove, like sea salt, soups, rendering fat, etc! Carding wool, spinning, and knitting a shawl while the snow comes down in big fat flakes, making the world silent except for the occasional sound of a snowplow going by. Ah, heavenly....

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
There are several of us in Ohio that would probably be on your way through and you are welcome to stop here and take a rest if you want!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I got Mya, I drove at night and followed the speed limit. But only went through three different states. With her in the back seat. Are you good at driving at night and sleeping in the daytime? The nights are getting longer! If I were enroute you could crash here!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All I know is that I had some very dear plants when I drove through california's inspection station. They found an ant and confiscated everything. Then they started eying my pet cat in the car, but let me pass with her. They said if she was livestock or a bird they would take her.

It's a good idea to know before you go. I wish I'd taken smaller roads.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You might consider shipping them via air freight.

My cousin purchased a Registered Longhorn heifer in Colorado and they flew her home (Missouri) in a big dog crate. It was far less stressful than a long car ride would have been.

My D1's MIL also shipped an aging Arab horse from CAL to MO via professional shippers (by ground) so he could spend his last years on soft green grass instead of in a stall.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am just checking out my options. I really don't have any money. So shipping the goats is out of the question. I am just looking into everything. It might be a year, five years or two months :lol: (if SO ticks me off enough) I really would like to stay here for at least another year. DD's baby is due in the end of feb. So I want to be here for her during that time and help out.

As I said, I am just looking into my options and like to have my "escape" route planned out.
And I am counting on being able to stop by at several of my SS friends. ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow FD, what a drive! I know when we traveled from Ohio to Alaska....with a dog, we had to have vet papers. Its not hard to do, or expencive. Hey, I know we would be along the way...and you could DEFINATELY crash here. We have plenty room too for you and the girls. ;)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
FD, here is another place you can take a break and let the goaties run the fenced in back yard!!

One way to deal with winter, is to embrace it! The Wife and I just ordered our season ski passes last evening!! :lol: There are some killer ski slopes in New York!!

http://www.bearsystems.com/ski/ski.html