Can I see your bread? Post your loaf's photo.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about egg bread??

I buy some rolls at the local market, they are labeled egg bread. They have onions and poppy seeds in them. They look like the dough was folded. Very light and more like a roll.

I can take a pic if necessary.

I would like to try and make these at home.

GF and regular.

G

cuallaidh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Hummm that seems a bit heavy but a good place to start.

Thanks, g
Actually all the egg breads I have tried have been nice light breads, very yummy.

cuallaidh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I should note that I have never used the recipe I posted, I just used it because it was the first egg bread recipe I could find.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Eggs do give bread doughs a very light texture, and a bit richer flavor.

I make this one:
http://www.millriverfarm.com/recipe.cfm?id=420&catname=Bread, Rolls, and Muffins

Although it's titled "Challah" and uses a bread machine, you can also mix it by hand or stand mixer and make just egg bread in a loaf shape or the tradtional braided challah. I've also used the same dough for dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls.

You could add about 1 1/2 tsp dried minced onion to copy the one you've been purchasing.

ETA: To bake in regular loaf pans, I use 350° oven for 25 mintues.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On Friday I bake a special Challah (a very rich egg braid) for the meal after Shabbat services. Here is a photo of one of them that turned out rather perfect!! (They don't always look this good!)

PerfectChallahemail.jpg

I tried a bread recipe a while back, it is called Kettle bread. A very wet dough that is baked in a heavy pan in a very hot oven

Here is how it turned out.

72810KettleBreadTopemail.jpg

The loaf opened

72810KettleBreadOpenemail.jpg

I need to make more of that! I had forgetten all about that recipe!

My daughter has a Whisper Mill. she bakes once a week. She grinds the grain fresh for each batch . Her bread is HEAVENLY!!

Here is one batch before baking.

LotsofBreademail.jpg

Here it is after baking.

Lotsofbreadbakedemail.jpg

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Hummm that seems a bit heavy but a good place to start.

Thanks, g
I can give you my recipe for Challah, it is light and very tasty. The recipe is from a booklet I made for my Challah 101 Class.

Heidis Challah

Ingredients:

3 eggs
5 to 6 cups of Bread Flour
(Amount of Flour depends on Humidity)
3/4 cup of Sugar
2 tsp. of Salt
cup of Water (very warm)
1 cup water 2 pkgs. or approx 2 TBS of yeast

Instructions
First "proof" yeast in cup very warm water (105to 115). Stir cup of water and yeast until the yeast dissolves. Let stand about 10 minutes.

In large bowl mix eggs, sugar, salt, and water, (it speeds rising time if these ingredients are heated, but do so very carefully so you do not cook the eggs!)

Stir Yeast into the bowl (your yeast, which should be foamy, if not you need new yeast or warmer or cooler water, too hot of water will kill the yeast, too cool of water and it doesnt activate.)

Stir in Flour about 1 cup at a time, when it begins to get too hard to stir, use your hands to work in the rest of the flour until the dough is no longer sticky. The dough should feel like the cheek of a small child.

Put the dough into a oiled bowl, turn the dough to cover it with oil,
cover with plastic wrap of some other cover to keep in the heat, and keep out the bugs.( Let dough rise for about One hour in a warm place, in the summer outside in a safe place. In winter, in the stove with a pan of boiling water. To rise quickly the temperature must be between 85 and 95. If the room is too cool, the bread may not rise at all.

After the bread has risen, shape in a braid* or put in a pan, brush top of dough with egg white or yolk, (for a shiny finish,) then sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds and bake for about 40 minutes on 350. Take out, allow to cool.

Too make the bread extra special, some times I add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup Sour Cream to the liquids. Makes a very rich flavor.

*For Braiding Instructions, Come to Challah 101Class, or look in any
number of good Jewish cookbooks.