Can I see your bread? Post your loaf's photo.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I know right! I need to stay out of this bread section! :lol:
I made them to look like French bread, but it is actually my white sourdough recipe.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been starting bread in a cold oven for a long time now, love the crusts. But my oven has a bread proofing setting that holds 80 degrees so I don't' need the cast iron pan. After the rise I just mist again (I mist the walls of the oven and the loaves at the start of rise and maybe one more time in rise depending on how long this one takes) and then set the oven for the bake temperature, and the timer gets set when the oven bell tells me it's up to temperature. Hubby is not found of really hard crust so I don't mist again or add the boiling water pan to mine.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
adoptedbyachicken said:
I have been starting bread in a cold oven for a long time now, love the crusts. But my oven has a bread proofing setting that holds 80 degrees so I don't' need the cast iron pan. After the rise I just mist again (I mist the walls of the oven and the loaves at the start of rise and maybe one more time in rise depending on how long this one takes) and then set the oven for the bake temperature, and the timer gets set when the oven bell tells me it's up to temperature. Hubby is not found of really hard crust so I don't mist again or add the boiling water pan to mine.
Lucky you!

Yeah, I have been using a cold oven to start baking my sourdough since I started baking sourdough bread. I just never thought to make a homemade "bread proofing oven" until recently. Since we don't warm up the house during the day (usually don't) in the winters I have been trying to come up with an idea. Predecessors included the microwave--boiling water in the microwave and then throw in my dough and the stainless trick-- putting a stainless bowl over the dough and then putting an inverted hot cast iron pan on top. :p

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Making bread for another family. No sourdough on hand, so I will be making the 24 hour bread, so at least it has some fermented goodness!

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This one is a Jenn Air, but now most of them have it available. Hubby loves the grill so we had to get a Jenn Air anyway, but I love this setting. My other oven has only a warming setting, and that's too hot, 180 I think, but if I need to use it I turn it on to that for 5 min then turn it off.

Yes, 2 ovens, we do lots of baking and built the house with a B&B in mind when we retire.