Canning dried beans

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
TanksHill said:
CrimsonRose said:
I want to learn to make re fried beans and can them!
Re fried beans are to thick to can. But I found a recipe that you can whole pintos and mash when your re heating. Its very good.
I have read this also. I would mash, and season the beans just before serving.
Yep! :)

I can "seasoned pintos" for making refried beans. Just add some chopped bacon and chopped onion to beans when ready to can. To make refried after opening, I smash them and add 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp chili powder per pint.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
TanksHill said:
CrimsonRose said:
I want to learn to make re fried beans and can them!
Re fried beans are to thick to can. But I found a recipe that you can whole pintos and mash when your re heating. Its very good.
I have read this also. I would mash, and season the beans just before serving.
yeah I've done that a few times but typically most things I use refried beans in is quick meals I just want to eliminate this final step... LOL yes I know lazy but with 3 kiddos homeschooling and all the animals every second counts when it comes to cooking...

I thought I might try a few experiments and see how it goes... I've canned pumpkin puree a few times even though that "can't be canned" acording to the experts... and it's always turned out fine... I did leave it in the canner about 20 mins more than called for just in case... but I figure if they can put it in a can and sell it at the store then I should be able to do it at home...

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Kim_NC said:
I use the BBB directions - soaking, and then cooking for 30 minutes before processing. I just hold them at a very low boil (barely) for the 30 minutes. They come out great...all varieties. Not mushy.

Aha! that might be it! thanks!
Ooppsss...we were posting at the same time and I missed your comment. You're welcome, hope it works out for you if you try them again.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:

And BTW, I've tried the first method - putting beans in a jar, covering with hot water, and immediately processing them. It's not as nice a product. The outer skin on the beans stays harder, and they turn thick in the jar. Some crack open and almost "burst". Edible....but not nearly as nice.

Yeah, that sounds familiar. Maybe I will try to use the BBB method next time.

g

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
I can lots of beans - kidney, pinto, black, october, chick peas, canellini. I like them for the convenience....and they taste much better than commercial canned. Although I'm home all day, it still suits me best to open a jar or two at times rather than soak, etc.

DH & I also like chick peas and black beans on salads. The texture of a canned bean suits that purpose best to us.

Regarding cost....depending on the price of dry beans, I can do them for around 30 - 35 per pint. Canellinis run about 55- 60 per pint because the dry beans cost more than most, at least around here.

That doesn't count the cost of canning jars....but you'll reuse the jars over & over. I have jars I've canned in for 25 yrs. Their cost has been spread out over so many jars of foods that it doesn't matter anymore.

I use the BBB directions - soaking, and then cooking for 30 minutes before processing. I just hold them at a very low boil (barely) for the 30 minutes. They come out great...all varieties. Not mushy.

And BTW, I've tried the first method - putting beans in a jar, covering with hot water, and immediately processing them. It's not as nice a product. The outer skin on the beans stays harder, and they turn thick in the jar. Some crack open and almost "burst". Edible....but not nearly as nice.
Thank you Kim, that is exactly what I need ... info. (pro and con) from someone who has done it. :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I do it for convenience. You get home late, and it is so easy to make some bean paste or refried beans with nachos and salsa and cheese. DH loves beans and will often open a jar and add it to something else...some frozen cooked sausage that he makes up in bulk, or some leftover tomato sauce, whatever, and he has a quick lunch or breakfast.

And what if you have a hankering for a chocolate black bean cake? One pint jar of home-canned black beans is just the right amount for BubblingBrook's recipe! Who wants to start soaking beans and cooking them when you can just open a jar?

I do up a 3 lbs of dry beans batch, and do another batch when that one is almost used up. I don't have jars and jars and jars of canned beans on the shelf.

I also do Boston Baked beans with salt pork, and bean soup with ham, for quick one-jar meals. It is a great way to give easy lunches to my folks and my dh and making their lives easier, too. And they will be thinking happy thoughts about me while eating it! :p

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a great thread. Thanks for the info, especially the info on why, as well as how. This is really useful!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ha-ha!!! Didn't someone? It is to make them more digestible, as was stated. This is because of the phytates in the seed coat, or germination inhibitors. This is neutralized only by the long soak method. Whey speeds this up the most, ACV will work, or a spoonful of yogurt or kefir. Rinse the beans, then cook or can as directed. Phytates will also irritate the digestive tract and block the absorption of other nutrients.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick - you're welcome.

freemotion said:
.....I also do Boston Baked beans with salt pork, and bean soup with ham, for quick one-jar meals. It is a great way to give easy lunches to my folks and my dh and making their lives easier, too. And they will be thinking happy thoughts about me while eating it! :p
I do Boston Baked beans as well. And Hoppin' John (blackeye peas, jalapenos, onion, tomato).

I hadn't though of bean soup and ham....hmmmm.....next! :)