Canning dried beans

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So Free, do you soak, cook, and can ... or just soak and can?
And yes, the convenience bit has struck home here. DH is not a forward planner ... well, not as regards dinner anyway. He is very likely to ask for something at the last minute that would have been easily possible ... had he asked the day before ... but, in fact is impossible because of soaking, or defrosting issues. He still doesn't understand why I don't like to use the microwave, or the fast soak method. First I'll be doing the pea soup, then I'll think about getting a few jars of beans on the shelf. And no, I am not intending to can up all my dried beans - too many beans, not enough jars, and not enough shelves - but a few, for those times I haven't had the forethought (or forewarning :rolleyes:) to soak, that I will do.
Thanks for the information, and encouragement.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, almost forgot ... does anyone have an opinion on the different processing times? BBB says 90 imnutes for a quart; Jackie Clay say 75 minutes. I'm inclined to err on the side of more time (BBB) unless someone else can give a good reason not to.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The instructions I use say 75 min for pints and 90 min for quarts.

I also have the instructions that say soak overnight, boil 30 min, can. I don't boil 30 min, I do just get them good and hot, maybe simmer 5 minutes or so. This gives a firmer bean sometimes. 75 min is a long time in the pressure canner...the beans will be cooked! I only do pints, since they are used as a quick ingredient, I never use more than a pint at one time.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The instructions I use say 75 min for pints and 90 min for quarts.

I also have the instructions that say soak overnight, boil 30 min, can. I don't boil 30 min, I do just get them good and hot, maybe simmer 5 minutes or so. This gives a firmer bean sometimes. 75 min is a long time in the pressure canner...the beans will be cooked! I only do pints, since they are used as a quick ingredient, I never use more than a pint at one time.
Thanks!

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't gone through this entire thread but besides my #10 can dry beans for uber long storage, I have 40 lb bags of beans to can for convenient meals. It's sooo much cheaper than buying canned beans at the grocery store and you can make so many different things from very few varieties of beans!

So far, I've only used pinto and black beans.

The best homemade refried bean recipe I've ever tasted is The Beginning Farmer's Wife's recipe. It's for canning but you could make it for eating immediately (though, it's so good, I can' imagine making only enough for one meal).

Refried beans:
http://thebeginningfarmerswife.blogspot.com/2008/06/canning-refriedburrito-beans.html

Bean Canning primer:
http://thebeginningfarmerswife.blogspot.com/2007/11/canning-pinto-beans_30.html

My mother is Tejana and my kiddos are refried bean connoisseurs. We give this recipe a big thumbs up. :drool

The only problem I've had when canning beans was liquid leakage while pressure processing. I've tried to fix that several ways but nothing has helped to far. Next time I can beans I'll try not filling the jars so full to see if that helps.

So far, I've canned the refried beans, black beans (plain for adding to recipes), and Beanie Weanies. :D Does anyone remember those from when you were a kid? They a whole meal in itself - real comfort food. I used the Boston Baked Bean recipe from the Ball Blue Book, added cut up hot dogs to them just before they were done to heat the dogs properly, and pressure canned them. Remember to leave enough headspace for even more expansion during the pressure process. They were delish and didn't last long.

Next, in addition to repeat canning of the above, I'd like to can plain BBBs, bean chili, and soups with beans. I'm tellin' ya. It's so darn easy, you many never buy canned beans from the store again. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's the same recipe I was talking about. The Beginning Farmer's Wife. I loved the way the beans turned out. I do plan to fill the jars a pit fuller next time. But I have made re fried beans and dip. Both were wonderful.

:thumbsup

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
That's the same recipe I was talking about. The Beginning Farmer's Wife. I loved the way the beans turned out. I do plan to fill the jars a pit fuller next time. But I have made re fried beans and dip. Both were wonderful.

:thumbsup
So, did you have problems with liquid leakage like I did (and the Farmer's Wife)?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, my first attempt at canning beans is done; the jars have been on the counter for about an hour now. They look alright; that is, they didn't dissolve into mush in the jars. But I'll need to open one up to see what the texture is. I was so focused on the canning this afternoon - first pea soup, and then the beans - that I totally forgot about rounding up the chickens, and locking their door before curfew (neighbour and I have an agreed upon time when the chickens need to be locked up so that her dog can have a short spell of freedom in the evening - works well, when I don't get sidetracked :lol:), so I had to call DH away from what he was doing to watch the jiggler for me for a few minutes :rolleyes:). My flighty little Hamburg decided that I had left it too long, and chose to stay the night in a tree - but she does that every few evenings anyway :hu, silly creature. This latest canning effort seemed to go smoother (except for the chickens) than the first couple of times; I seem to be developing a pattern, and also not forgetting to take into account the heating up and cooling down times.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Quick question: having dispatched a couple of roosters this past weekend, I made chicken stock and am ready to can it. To fill up the canner, I decided to can a few jars of beans as well. I read this thread and followed the link to the beginning farmer's wife (http://thebeginningfarmerswife.blogspot.com/2007/11/canning-pinto-beans_30.html) that was listed in one of the posts. She provided directions for canning pinto beans. I didn't have pinto beans but had black beans so, thinking they would be about the same, used the same directions - 3/4 cup into a pint jar and fill it with water to soak overnight. This morning the beans are to the top of the pint jar so I guess they absorbed more water than the pinto beans do? Anyway, sorry to take so long to get to the point but my question is, obviously I need to remove some beans before putting these in the canner. I know that they will absorb more water while cooking so - what level do I need to get the beans DOWN to, before I refill with water and start the process?