canning supplies

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also remove my rings, and try to keep them in very good shape. have PILES of them. Highway robbery, what the name brand lids are going for. But... here, in my kitchen, for myself, I do not hesitate to re-use them. When storing a jar in the fridge, I try to always put a plastic lid on it, so that I can keep the lid in good shape. When I remove the lid, I place a bread tab, or something similar between the can opener and the lid, so the lid doesn't get dented. And, where the can opener lifts the lid, it's a simple matter to roll the edge of the lid on the edge of the sink to restore it to perfect shape.

We also have plastic lids for refrigerator short term storage. But you go a step further and reuse the lids also. I guess there's not an issue as long as they are clean and sterlize and seal again.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Luckily, my order is just back logged. I have plenty for this season, but I always try to keep a year's worth on hand.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We also have plastic lids for refrigerator short term storage. But you go a step further and reuse the lids also. I guess there's not an issue as long as they are clean and sterlize and seal again.

Just so you know: All written canning information speaks vehemently against re-using lids. For me to even suggest such a thing in canning circles would be as offensive as it is for me to publicly disagree with the PC Covid propaganda machine. I will re-use lids if they look just like new, inside and out. A sealed lid is a sealed lid, yes???? I will also re-use some jars from the grocer if they are a convenient size and if they have a good lid. After all, a sealed lid is a sealed lid, yes? I'll not pressure can with the latter.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just so you know: All written canning information speaks vehemently against re-using lids. For me to even suggest such a thing in canning circles would be as offensive as it is for me to publicly disagree with the PC Covid propaganda machine. I will re-use lids if they look just like new, inside and out. A sealed lid is a sealed lid, yes???? I will also re-use some jars from the grocer if they are a convenient size and if they have a good lid. After all, a sealed lid is a sealed lid, yes? I'll not pressure can with the latter.

I learned from my wife, so that's all I know.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

if they are clean and in good condition i will reuse them for my own stuff but not for things we'll give to other people. i also will reuse lids for freezing some things so i don't have to use a fresh lid instead.

i've also reused store bought jam jars and lids several times before the lid gets gunky or unable to hold a seal or ...

for high acid stuff (all we do here) i don't worry about issues with seals or processing. we've done so many thousands of quarts that we know what we're doing. our failure rate is very tiny.

what i also do is buy bulk lids to use in the freezer as they are cheaper and will work for that purpose ok. i have had a batch of bad bulk lids before where they would not process correctly, but i just switched to a different batch and things went ok. took them back to the store and exchanged them for new replacements - no questions asked.

we put a few boxes of lids on the shopping list just to get a few more on hand so if things get tough later we won't be caught so short.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I should probably try to buy some more. I have a LOT, but maybe not quite a year's worth of the wide mouth lids, plenty of the regulars. I just bought 2 cases of wide mouth quarts that I saw at the store- the price was very close to what they've always been here.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ordered jars online from Walmart, quarts & pints, 4 cases of each. The quarts came in fine, no damage. The pints were all busted. They box they came in had been opened up and there was a notation on one of the flaps what was damaged. A big return to shipper label was on outside of box. Of course, Fedex delivered it anyway.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Im not sure if I can even find the link as it's been years, but product jar reuse was tested and fine for waterbath canning. They didn't hold up well under pressure so not recommended for that. Glass is thinner is that problem. I have some old glass mayo jars from the early 80s taht have been used for jams over the decades.

They also tested lid reuse in waterbath canning. Higher failure rate in reuse so wasn't recommended, but had the caveat of if you're desperate it could be done. Was something like 20% more likely to fail.

Have to be careful opening the lid the first time. Ive watch some rough handling on opening jars over the years.