canning supplies

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I ordered jars online from Walmart, quarts & pints, 4 cases of each. The quarts came in fine, no damage. The pints were all busted. They box they came in had been opened up and there was a notation on one of the flaps what was damaged. A big return to shipper label was on outside of box. Of course, Fedex delivered it anyway.

I have found that the Walmart jars are poor quality: have had some break during processing. No problem with the lids. So... I buy name brand jars, and WM lids.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many of my jars are old, name brand and going strong. I actually feel the older ones were stronger -- could be wrong. At this point, I'm still finding a doz here & there in going thru boxes. Pretty well stocked with bags for the vac sealers. Have plenty of pint jars -- best for me as only one in house. Lots of lids -- Some packed were Ball with $1.49 price tag, you know they were stored a while :rolleyes: but, just fine. I used to pick up jars at yard sales...those may happen again, one day. LOL

My grands used to put paraffin on their jellies. Seals were not "as" critical with that 2nd inside seal. Anyone out there do that now?

I see more interest in canning supplies, like garden seed but, no one is looking at buying 300, that I see. Many will go the freeze route as it is less investment up front...if they have a freezer. You have to consider that many people shop week to week, so a 6 month supply of canned goods at one time is not even on their radar. They have no idea how much food that amounts to. And, for many, 3 tomato plants are a big plan. Hey, I lose more than that to accident.

I have used and have in stock, WM lids. Mine have worked just fine so far. Most are Ball & Kerr. When I can the jars normally set on my table for about 2 weeks….then to shelves, where I check stores about once a week -- whenever I add more, at least. After 4-6 wks, I settle in to "ok".

The "PING" It's such a satisfying thing. Only "we" could understand! :lol: All the time work & love that sums up!

PING!!!!!!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My grandmother on dad's side always used paraffin. Great grandma did as well. Allowed saving the actual canning jars for other things. Cut the top off glass bottles, sand edges, use for jams and jellies.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm a guy with big hands that are not so sensitive to heat. It took me a lot of practice to get the rings "finger tight" as my wife calls it. The first couple of times my wife accused me of "gorilla torquing" the rings because the lids crinkled.

She had to show me how to do rings finger tight. We practiced on a jar. She would finger tighten the ring and I would unscrew it, then screw it back on again. She would then do the same. After several times of screwing and unscrewing the ring I finally caught on.

I have to use my thumb and little finger to screw the ring down the same as my wife does with all her fingers and thumb. Finger tight is not the right way to describe it to a guy. It's more like almost loose. But at least I got the "touch" now.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's a lot of that in old-time type skills. Probably because people back then learned those skills hands on instead of out of a book. I remember it took me a long time to understand the phrase "knead until smooth and elastic" but once you get it, you never forget it.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have found that the Walmart jars are poor quality: have had some break during processing. No problem with the lids. So... I buy name brand jars, and WM lids.

I really like the golden harvest jars and lids. they are cheaper than ball and still made in usa. never had an issue with them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Best to buy good quality made in USA jars. Wife bought a case of Walmart made in China jars, had issues and never bought anymore. We usually go with Ball because they are readily available around here.

Ball Jars
"Our jars and lids are still made in the USA, and if you look across the competitive set … they are sourcing their jars from China. (Ball jars are predominantly made in Indiana, with some production also occurring at plant in Salem, N.J)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ball, Kerr, and Golden Harvest are all owned by the same company. I have jars from all three. All are good jars.

The Walmart brand ones looked questionable

we've used some of the walmart ones. had a couple break in the pressure canner. never again

I knew ball and Kerr were the same company, but i didn't know about golden harvest.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we've used some of the walmart ones. had a couple break in the pressure canner. never again

I knew ball and Kerr were the same company, but i didn't know about golden harvest.

we don't pressure can. have had very few problems with jars as long as they are in good condition to begin with. i always check for decent seams, no chips or cracks before using. most of what we have are name brand jars and many are very old and pretty thick and heavy.

the WM jars work ok for us.