canning supplies

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a Kindle for junk reads (romances and mysteries mostly- the stuff that's fun to read once, but that's all). That has saved a bunch of space, even though I much prefer a real book. I mainly got it for the travel trailer, but we haven't been leaving the property much since we got it so...

Isn't there a natural law about Stuff Expands To Fill The Available Space? lol There's also something called the Flat Surface Syndrome, I believe.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many of my jars are old, name brand and going strong. I actually feel the older ones were stronger -- could be wrong. At this point, I'm still finding a doz here & there in going thru boxes. Pretty well stocked with bags for the vac sealers. Have plenty of pint jars -- best for me as only one in house. Lots of lids -- Some packed were Ball with $1.49 price tag, you know they were stored a while :rolleyes: but, just fine. I used to pick up jars at yard sales...those may happen again, one day. LOL

My grands used to put paraffin on their jellies. Seals were not "as" critical with that 2nd inside seal. Anyone out there do that now?

I see more interest in canning supplies, like garden seed but, no one is looking at buying 300, that I see. Many will go the freeze route as it is less investment up front...if they have a freezer. You have to consider that many people shop week to week, so a 6 month supply of canned goods at one time is not even on their radar. They have no idea how much food that amounts to. And, for many, 3 tomato plants are a big plan. Hey, I lose more than that to accident.

I have used and have in stock, WM lids. Mine have worked just fine so far. Most are Ball & Kerr. When I can the jars normally set on my table for about 2 weeks….then to shelves, where I check stores about once a week -- whenever I add more, at least. After 4-6 wks, I settle in to "ok".

The "PING" It's such a satisfying thing. Only "we" could understand! :lol: All the time work & love that sums up!

PING!!!!!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like to read things like that too.... just for the learning.
When we moved from our old house in CA to our little house in OR, I had to get brutal about our books- a huge collection of everything from sci-fi to romance to mysteries to cookbooks to anthropology and above all- history books. Everyone in our family is a reader, and we all love reading about the past. I winnowed approximately 2/3 of our collection and let me tell you, it HURT! I took books to the library until they told me to stop. I took books to every used book store in the county, left stacks of books in laundromats and RV parks..... When we got here, I discovered our personal library was STILL larger than the local library branch, lol. I still don't have room to display all of them-- we would need at least one more medium sized room in the house with floor-to-ceiling shelves on all 4 walls (I truly am not exaggerating!)

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Saw a strawberry farm on the way back from the dr appt in NC and stopped and got a box of already picked strawberries as I still had the walking boot on my foot/ankle and that is so awkward to get around with. They are about 2 weeks ahead of us down along the NC/VA border. Most will get frozen tomorrow but will share some with my son and make a couple of strawberry shortcakes. I will vacuum pack them after I freeze them whole on a cookie tray so they don't smoosh. They were mostly a uniform batch of not real big ones and they are pretty sweet. Of course, the first ones of the year are always pretty sweet!!!!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
so a customer gave my coworker 2 quarts of canned figs in syrup.....dated 2009!

I warned him not to eat them but he did it anyway just to spite me. the dummy is still alive ( a week later) and he talked another guy at work into trying it.

2 years is absolute max for me
I guess I am a big dummy!

Canned food will keep much longer than two years. I have meat, fruit, and vegetables that are just as good as they were when they came out of the canner. If it looks good, smells good then it usually is good. Fruit and pickles usually hold up the worst. But meat and vegetables hold up for a long time. I have a few jars of potatoes from 2009 in my pantry that still look good and taste good!

Of course, NEVER eat anything that has a seal that has been compromised.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have found that the Walmart jars are poor quality: have had some break during processing. No problem with the lids. So... I buy name brand jars, and WM lids.

I ordered the jars from Walmart, but they were Kerr brand jars.

Actually my wife taught me a splash of white vinegar in the pressure canner. Prevents white spots on the outside of the jars lids and rings. So that's what I do. Maybe 1 tablespoon is all I add and it works well.

I used to do this too, until last year. When I got out my canner, I noticed there was pitting in the bottom. I talked to a lady from Presto, and she said it was from the vinegar reacting with the traces of copper in the water. We have copper pipes in our house. So now I just wash my jars in soap/water the day after canning.

I was able to replace the busted jars with new ones from Walmart last week. Glad too since I used 1 1/2 cases today canning up some chicken & hamburger.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We also have plastic lids for refrigerator short term storage. But you go a step further and reuse the lids also. I guess there's not an issue as long as they are clean and sterlize and seal again.

Just so you know: All written canning information speaks vehemently against re-using lids. For me to even suggest such a thing in canning circles would be as offensive as it is for me to publicly disagree with the PC Covid propaganda machine. I will re-use lids if they look just like new, inside and out. A sealed lid is a sealed lid, yes???? I will also re-use some jars from the grocer if they are a convenient size and if they have a good lid. After all, a sealed lid is a sealed lid, yes? I'll not pressure can with the latter.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I should probably try to buy some more. I have a LOT, but maybe not quite a year's worth of the wide mouth lids, plenty of the regulars. I just bought 2 cases of wide mouth quarts that I saw at the store- the price was very close to what they've always been here.