canning supplies

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
anyone else notice the canning supplies are getting space and more expensive? Ball canning lids are going for up to $12 on Amazon. wide mouth jars are getting really hard to find as well

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yes, I have noticed they are in high demand. I ordered more bulk rings and lids from Lehman's and they were back ordered. I ordered them, and they have not charged my credit card for them yet as of this morning. So, I need to call them today.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have not ordered, I have lids for this year. I planned to can last year but wasn't healthy enough to do it.

I have Tattler lids (that I haven't tried yet) but most are for regular mouth jars - which I don't have. I'll have to wait until everything settles to buy jars I guess.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried Tattler lids and didn't really like them. I've heard from others that failures are more common with them as opposed to the metal lids, but that wasn't why I didn't like them. I'm just old fashioned and like the "plink"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes. I bought 2 cases of Walmart brand last week (20 boxes/case) So, I have about 60 boxes on hand now. Will be picking up some more pint jars, if I find them. People say the Walmart brand does not work well for them, but I've had no problem with them. @ 1.47/box, small mouth, can't beat the price, and I re-use my lids. I hate to say it folks, but we're in this for the long haul. Supplies ARE NOT going to get better.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am stocked for this year and probably next year. I have Tattler lids, both sizes, but never used them. I too, like the plink. Tattler are my SHTF back up.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also remove my rings, and try to keep them in very good shape. have PILES of them. Highway robbery, what the name brand lids are going for. But... here, in my kitchen, for myself, I do not hesitate to re-use them. When storing a jar in the fridge, I try to always put a plastic lid on it, so that I can keep the lid in good shape. When I remove the lid, I place a bread tab, or something similar between the can opener and the lid, so the lid doesn't get dented. And, where the can opener lifts the lid, it's a simple matter to roll the edge of the lid on the edge of the sink to restore it to perfect shape.

Latest posts